cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Mark Robson <mar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: one server or more servers?
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:30:43 GMT
2009/7/14 <mobiledreamers@gmail.com>

> *1. If you only have 3 production servers, Cassandra may not do much for
> you. You will probably only care if you have lots more servers. 3 servers is
> a reasonable minimum for a test / dev environment*
> At How many servers does cassandra start really performing?
> or how many servers is an ideal setup say for a game 10?

It can use any number, three is probably a reasonable minimum, I don't know
what the maximum is.

If you have a small number of servers, there is probably no reason to use
Cassandra; you can more usefully use a conventional database with
replication or sharding.

The reason you might want to use Cassandra is to scale writes a lot, to
levels you couldn't reach with more "conventional" databases.

In all likelihood, an application would use Cassandra to store high-volume
high-write data alongside a more conventional database to store smaller,
less frequently changing stuff.

It appears to me that Cassandra 0.3 is only really useful if running on a
homogenous cluster of dedicated servers with reasonable amounts of memory /
storage (But not necessarily high spec servers of CPU, IO speed or internal
redundancy).

Once the load balancing is implemented in 0.5 (according to current plans)
it will become more useful for heterogenous environments.

Mark