cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Mark Robson <mar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scaling from 1 to x (was: one server or more servers?)
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2009 12:20:12 GMT
2009/7/14 Johan Stuyts <j.stuyts@zybber.nl>

> Is it unwise to use Cassandra in production if you use less than n servers?
> I.e. is it better to use another solution for <n servers and switch to
> Cassandra once n is reached?

If you are not sure whether N will ever be reached, then you don't need to
deploy Cassandra until you reach a point where you're sure it will be
reached.

If your application's scale is planned (i.e. by management who do
planning-type things) to exceed what you can reasonably get out of a
conventional database (with or without various types of scale-out solution),
then Cassandra might be the right solution for you.

I feel that developing an application for Cassandra is a lot more difficult
than a "traditional" database, and it's also a fairly immature product.
There are many drawbacks, such as lack of visibility of storage usage.

I think that Cassandra is likely to become a very compelling system for
large scale problems quite soon, but I don't think it's there yet.

Mark