cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scaling from 1 to x (was: one server or more servers?)
Date Fri, 17 Jul 2009 20:36:56 GMT
HH is a mechanism to reduce inconsistency, but a node holding a HH row
while waiting for the "right" node to recover won't be part of the
group that is queried for it (since it could be anywhere).  So if you
set block_for to M and less than M of the actual replica destinations
are up, Cassandra will fail the write.

If you set block_for to zero, then writes will indeed never fail
(unless the node the client is talking to dies mid-action, of course).

-Jonathan