cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Eric Evans <eev...@rackspace.com>
Subject Re: thrift+cassandra on RedHat 5...
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2009 14:22:56 GMT
On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 06:57 -0700, John Doe wrote:
> I need help with installing thrift-796660 and cassandra-0.3.0 on RedHat 5.
> I don't have much experience with java installs...
> I install everything in $PREFIX.
>
> ##### Thrift #####

[ ... ]

> Then make fails on the test directory...
> If I remove test from the subdirs in the makefile, I get no errors...

If you are having issues getting Thrift installed, your best bet would
be to post to one of their lists
(http://incubator.apache.org/thrift/mailing/). They're better equipped
to help you with this sort of problem.

That said, if you removed the tests and got a complete build, you
*might* be OK (depending on which tests were failing and why), and the
Cassandra start-up errors below are *not* related to Thrift.

[ ... ]

> [cassandra]$ ./bin/cassandra
> Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 8888
> ERROR - Fatal exception in thread Thread[main,5,main]
> java.lang.AssertionError: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1
>         at org.apache.cassandra.net.EndPoint.<init>(EndPoint.java:66)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.net.EndPoint.<clinit>(EndPoint.java:51)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.start(StorageService.java:292)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraServer.start(CassandraServer.java:81)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.setup(CassandraDaemon.java:66)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.main(CassandraDaemon.java:120)

The assertion that created this exception is taking what is assumed to
be the "main address" for your node (should be the one that maps to the
hostname), and asserting that it is in the form of an IPv4 address.

Does this machine use an IPv6 interface? If so, that is probably not
going to work. If you haven't set it up for IPv6, then we need to figure
out how an InetAddress.getLocalHost() returned "0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1".

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com