cassandra-gsod2019 mailing list archives

From Saurav Malani <sauravmala...@gmail.com>
Subject GSoD Applicant: Interested in 2. Cassandra Operator's Handbook and 3. Improving CQL Documentation.
Date Sat, 01 Jun 2019 10:26:30 GMT
Hello Everyone,

I am a 4th-year Computer Science Undergraduate student at IIIT-H, India. I
am a GSoC student, currently working with Cloud Native Computing Foundation
(CNCF). A few days back, I came across a post about Google Summer of Doc
(GSoD), which is similar to GSoC but is more on the documentation side.
This is the first time I have seen Cassandra participating in any such
event. And, participating in such events and working on documenting
Cassandra would be a great learning opportunity for me. So, I was
interested in participating in GSoD.

*A little bit about myself:*
As I am a computer science student so I have done courses like Operating
System, Distributed System, Computer System Organization, Advanced Computer
Networks, Principles of Information Technology, Database Systems. So, I
have an in-depth understanding of computer science core concepts.

*Work Experience:*
1. Selected for GSoC-19 (Google Summer of Code), very similar to GSoD but
more on the coding side, this year to contribute to CNCF (one of the most
famous Cloud organization). In CNCF, I am working on Cortex, a distributed
monitoring system which uses Apache Cassandra for long term storage of
data. You can find more about the project here
<https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/5638078861934592/#5107177784606720>
.
2. I am an open source enthusiast. So, I keep on exploring and if I find
something interesting I try to contribute to the projects. A little bit
about my opensource contribution:-
  a. Kubernetes: Here, I worked on resolving the OpenAPI SecurityDefinition
conflict in Kubernetes Python-Client, to use Authorization header name,
following HTTP standard. Also, resolved the "test directory listing" issue
& Created and Uploaded a Kubernetes Python-Client package to Python Package
Index. (link <https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/70684>)
  b. I have also contributed to Linux Foundation's OpenDaylight Project.
PR link: https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/69452

https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/#/c/69361/
3. I have been a Teaching Assistant for the Principles of Information
Security course, this semester, where my duty was to conduct Labs,
tutorials, and also conduct doubt clearing sessions for students.
4. To be honest, I don't have much experience with writing documentation.
Although, a wrote a blog, a few months back, link
<https://medium.com/@saurav.malani>. But, I believe it is just a matter of
time and if I am given an opportunity, I will be able to create good
documentation as I have a decent exposure in the related field which will
always give me an edge over others.

So, can you please guide me on where should I start and how can I prove my
candidature. Looking forward to hear back.

Regards,
Saurav Malani