cassandra-dev mailing list archives

From benjamin roth <brs...@gmail.com>
Subject Official CS docs
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2017 10:10:15 GMT
Hi guys,

Is there a reason that the docs are part of the git repo?
In my personal opinion this is very complicated and it puts the hurdle to
contribute to docs very high.

There are so many questions on userlists that repeat over and over again
and that could be put into a knowledge base.

But ...
- Maintaining this in a repo is a painful, complicated and slow.
- I don't like to write docs that I can't preview instantly. I don't want
to wait for a slow deployment process to see my result.
- There are tons of solutions for agile and moderated document management
like wikis or CMS.
- Doc access is not bound to contribution access and can be handled more
relaxed.

One thing that supports my consideration is the fact that the official doc
site is sparse and contains a lot of TODOs or "Under construction" entries.

IMHO Doc vs Source is like userlist vs devlist.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Ben