cassandra-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Hanna <jeremy.hanna1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DataStax role in Cassandra and the ASF
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2016 15:43:40 GMT
Ultimately it doesn't matter now. The project has a bright future with the involvement of all
individuals regardless of the company they work for. That's the important thing.

> On Nov 5, 2016, at 10:30 AM, Jeremy Hanna <jeremy.hanna1234@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> No it wasn't. You're citing the eventual and agreed upon outcome. I was talking about
the approach which is clear in the dev and user list threads that the board was involved in.
It is also apparently much more apparent in the private threads which apparently the PMC can
make public.

>> On Nov 5, 2016, at 10:02 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>>
>> Which is what was done: https://whimsy.apache.org/board/minutes/Cassandra.html
>>
>>> On Nov 5, 2016, at 10:48 AM, Jeremy Hanna <jeremy.hanna1234@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> If the ASF is at risk with a single company allowed to dominate a project then
why couldn't the approach have been something like: "great job on building a successful project
and community. We think there is great potential for more involvement at the core contribution
level. How can we work together to augment the existing efforts to encourage contribution
and bring in new contributors? By the way here are a couple of policy and trademark things
that we need to get fixed."

>>> I didn't understand the assumption that DataStax was doing something nefarious
nor the approach that was taken.  On a personal note I had tried to ask about evidence and
the approach previously but was ignored: https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@cassandra.apache.org/msg09101.html
 Perhaps that was due to the volume of messages on that thread but I don't feel those questions
were ever addressed.