cassandra-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Jirsa <jeff.ji...@crowdstrike.com>
Subject #cassandra-dev IRC logging
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2016 17:42:01 GMT
There exists a #cassandra-dev IRC channel that’s historically been used by developers discussing
the project – while it’s public, it’s not archived, and it’s not a mailing list. The
ASF encourages all discussion to be archived, and ideally, archived on a public mailing list.

Jake suggested, and I want to propose on the list, that we copy a log of that channel (minus
join/part activity) to dev@ either daily or weekly. We’ll need to make sure we comply with
Freenode’s IRC logging policy, but the project / developers receives the best of both worlds
– fast, real time chat but also public archives/visibility for people who aren’t online
at a given moment. The volume may be a bit higher than most of us have come expect from the
list, but it brings the project closer to doing things in The Apache Way, and we can give
it an easily-filtered subject for folks who don’t want that noise.