cassandra-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Jirsa <jeff.ji...@crowdstrike.com>
Subject Re: A proposal to move away from Jira-centric development
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2016 21:27:24 GMT

On 8/15/16, 2:15 PM, "Marvin Humphrey" <marvin@apache.org> wrote:

> Julian Hyde, who made the proposal, is active in the Apache Incubator …
>    I propose that when a JIRA is created, we send an email to both dev@ and
>    issues@. This will be an extra 40 emails per month on the dev list. I am
>    really cautious about increasing the number of messages on the dev list,
>    because I think high-volume lists discourage part-time contributors, but I
>    think this change is worthwhile. It will make people aware of
>    conversations that are happening and if it helps to channel conversations
>    onto JIRA cases it could possibly even REDUCE the volume on the dev list.

That’s a useful example. However, that’s a project with 30-40 issues per month (1300 over
its lifetime) – Cassandra is sitting at 244 in the past 30 days, 12000 over its lifetime.

I think a lot of us part-time contributors appreciate efforts to increase visibility and certainly
welcome growing the project by making it easier to recruit and retain more contributors, but
is the noise of 10 more new email threads per day going to get into the “high volume lists
discourage part-time contributors” range Julian discussed?

I’m a part time contributor. If this list gets ~10 threads per day with 2-3 replies each,
I’m going to have to start filtering it out of necessity (because I can’t keep up with
that volume).