cassandra-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Hanna <jeremy.hanna1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A proposal to move away from Jira-centric development
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2016 18:25:22 GMT
Regarding high level linking, if I’m in irc or slack or hipchat or a mailing list thread,
it’s easy to reference a Jira ID and chat programs can link to it and bots can bring up
various details.  I don’t think a hash id for a mailing list is as simple or memorable.

A feature of a mailing list thread is that it can go in different directions easily.  The
burden is that it will be harder to follow in the future if you’re trying to sort out implementation
details.  So for high level discussion, the mailing list is great.  When getting down to the
actual work and discussion about that focused work, that’s where a tool like Jira comes
in.  Then it is reference-able in the changes.txt and other things.

I think the approach proposed by Jonathan is a nice way to keep dev list followers informed
but keeping ticket details focused.

> On Aug 15, 2016, at 1:12 PM, Chris Mattmann <mattmann@apache.org> wrote:
>
> How is it harder to point someone to mail?
>
> Have you seen lists.apache.org?
>
> Specifically:
> https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@cassandra.apache.org
>

> On 8/15/16, 10:08 AM, "Jeremiah D Jordan" <jeremiah.jordan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>    I like keeping things in JIRA because then everything is in one place, and it is easy
to refer someone to it in the future.
>    But I agree that JIRA tickets with a bunch of design discussion and POC’s and such
in them can get pretty long and convoluted.

>    I don’t really like the idea of moving all of that discussion to email which makes
it has harder to point someone to it.  Maybe a better idea would be to have a “design/POC”
JIRA and an “implementation” JIRA.  That way we could still keep things in JIRA, but the
final decision would be kept “clean”.

>    Though it would be nice if people would send an email to the dev list when proposing
“design” JIRA’s, as not everyone has time to follow every JIRA ever made to see that
a new design JIRA was created that they might be interested in participating on.