cassandra-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Aleksey Yeschenko <alek...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE RESULT] Release Apache Cassandra 3.8
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2016 22:50:16 GMT
Sorry (: Only see yours, Dave’s, and mine in my client. Apparently I’ve trashed the email
chain at some point.

-- 
AY

On 26 July 2016 at 23:48:49, Brandon Williams (driftx@gmail.com) wrote:

Small nit: there are currently 5 binding +1 and 1 binding -1, (or 2, with  
Jonathan.)  

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Aleksey Yeschenko <aleksey@apache.org>  
wrote:  

> Sorry, but I’m counting 3 binding +1s and 1 binding -1 (2, if you  
> interpret Jonathan’s emails as such).  
>  
> Thus, if you were to do close the vote now, the vote is passing with the  
> binding majority, and the required minimum # of +1s gained.  
>  
> I also don’t see the PMC consensus on ‘August 3.8 release target’.  
>  
> As such, the vote is now reopened for further discussion, and to allow PMC  
> to change their votes if they feel like it (I, for one, have just returned,  
> and need to reevaluate 12236 in light of new comments).  
>  
> --  
> AY  
>  
> On 25 July 2016 at 15:46:40, Michael Shuler (mshuler@apache.org) wrote:  
>  
> Thanks for the clarity, Jonathan. I agree that an August 3.8 release  
> target sounds like the most reasonable option, at this point in time.  
>  
> With Sylvain's binding -1, this vote has failed.  
>  
> --  
> Kind regards,  
> Michael Shuler  
>  
> On 07/21/2016 05:33 PM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:  
> > I feel like the calendar is relevant though because if we delay 3.8 more  
> > we're looking at a week, maybe 10 days before 3.9 is scheduled. Which  
> > doesn't give us much time for the stabilizing we're supposed to do in  
> 3.9.  
> >  
> > All in all I think I agree that releasing 3.8 in August is less confusing  
> > than skipping it entirely. And I don't like the idea of ignoring a whole  
> > bunch of test failures and hoping they don't mean anything, because we  
> just  
> > had that thread about getting more rigorous about tests, not less.  
> >  
> > So I would recommend we go ahead and fix this before releasing, and to  
> > avoid a super compressed 3.9 window either retarget 3.8 for August, or  
> 3.9  
> > for September.  
> >  
> > On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Aleksey Yeschenko <aleksey@apache.org>  
> > wrote:  
> >  
> >> What we’d usually do is revert the offending ticket and push it to the  
> >> next release, if this indeed were significant enough.  
> >>  
> >> So option 4 would be to revert CDC fast (painful) and ship.  
> >> Option 5 would be to quickly fix the issue, retag, and revote, with 3.9  
> >> still following up on schedule.  
> >> Option 6 would be to ignore the calendar entirely. Fix or revert the  
> issue  
> >> eventually, and release 3.8 then. Have 3.9 and 3.0.9 out at whatever  
> time  
> >> we decide to, and go back to monthly cycles from there on.  
> >>  
> >> TBH I don’t think anybody is even going to notice, or care. So I’m fine
 
> >> with 1, 4, 5, 6, but not reverting my +1 so far.  
> >>  
> >> --  
> >> AY  
> >>  
> >> On 21 July 2016 at 14:46:17, Sylvain Lebresne (sylvain@datastax.com)  
> >> wrote:  
> >>  
> >> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Jonathan Ellis <jbellis@gmail.com>  
> wrote:  
> >>  
> >>> I see the alternatives as:  
> >>>  
> >>> 1. Release this as 3.8  
> >>> 2. Skip 3.8 and release 3.9 next month on schedule  
> >>> 3. Skip this month and release 3.8 next month instead  
> >>>  
> >>  
> >> I've hopefully made it clear I don't really like 1. I'm totally fine  
> with  
> >> either 2 or 3 though (with a very very small preference for 3. because I  
> >> suspect skipping a release might confuse a few users, but also knowing  
> that  
> >> 2. has the small advantage of keeping the 3.0.x and 3.x versions  
> released  
> >> more or less in lockstep).  
> >>  
> >>  
> >>  
> >>>  
> >>> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 8:19 AM, Aleksey Yeschenko <aleksey@apache.org
 
> >  
> >>> wrote:  
> >>>  
> >>>> I still think the issue is minor enough, and with 3.8 being extremely
 
> >>>> delayed, and being a non-odd release, at that, we’d be better off
just  
> >>>> pushing it.  
> >>>>  
> >>>> Also, I know we’ve been easy on -1s when voting on releases, but I
 
> want  
> >>> to  
> >>>> remind people in general that release votes can not be vetoed and only
 
> >>>> require a majority of binding votes,  
> >>>> http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#ReleaseVotes  
> >>>>  
> >>>> --  
> >>>> AY  
> >>>>  
> >>>> On 21 July 2016 at 08:57:22, Sylvain Lebresne (sylvain@datastax.com)
 
> >>>> wrote:  
> >>>>  
> >>>> Sorry but I'm (binding) -1 on this because of  
> >>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12236.  
> >>>>  
> >>>> I disagree that knowingly releasing a version that will temporarily
 
> >> break  
> >>>> in-flight queries during upgrade, even if it's for a very short  
> >>> time-frame  
> >>>> until re-connection, is ok. I'll note in particular that in the test
 
> >>>> report, there is 74! failures in the upgrade tests (for reference the
 
> >> 3.7  
> >>>> test report had only 2 upgrade tests failure both with open tickets).
 
> >>> Given  
> >>>> that we have a known problem during upgrade, I don't really buy the
 
> "We  
> >>> are  
> >>>> assuming these are due to a recent downsize in instance size that  
> these  
> >>>> tests run on" and that suggest to me the problem is not too minor. 

> >>>>  
> >>>>  
> >>>> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 6:18 AM, Dave Brosius <  
> >> dbrosius@mebigfatguy.com>  
> >>>> wrote:  
> >>>>  
> >>>>> +1  
> >>>>>  
> >>>>>  
> >>>>> On 07/20/2016 05:48 PM, Michael Shuler wrote:  
> >>>>>  
> >>>>>> I propose the following artifacts for release as 3.8.  
> >>>>>>  
> >>>>>> sha1: c3ded0551f538f7845602b27d53240cd8129265c  
> >>>>>> Git:  
> >>>>>>  
> >>>>>>  
> >>>>  
> >>>  
> >>  
> http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cassandra.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/3.8-tentative
 
> >>>>>> Artifacts:  
> >>>>>>  
> >>>>>>  
> >>>>  
> >>>  
> >>  
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecassandra-1123/org/apache/cassandra/apache-cassandra/3.8/
 
> >>>>>> Staging repository:  
> >>>>>>  
> >>>>>>  
> >>>>  
> >>>  
> >>  
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecassandra-1123/  
> >>>>>>  
> >>>>>> The debian packages are available here:  
> >>>>>> http://people.apache.org/~mshuler/  
> >>>>>>  
> >>>>>> The vote will be open for 72 hours (longer if needed).  
> >>>>>>  
> >>>>>> [1]: http://goo.gl/oGNH0i (CHANGES.txt)  
> >>>>>> [2]: http://goo.gl/KjMtUn (NEWS.txt)  
> >>>>>> [3]: https://goo.gl/TxVLKo (3.8 Test Summary)  
> >>>>>>  
> >>>>>>  
> >>>>>  
> >>>>  
> >>>  
> >>>  
> >>>  
> >>> --  
> >>> Jonathan Ellis  
> >>> Project Chair, Apache Cassandra  
> >>> co-founder, http://www.datastax.com  
> >>> @spyced  
> >>>  
> >>  
> >  
> >  
> >  
>  
>  

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message