cassandra-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Brian Hess <brianmh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Cassandra 3.8
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2016 15:06:03 GMT
I have no vote here, but I think that #2 is not a good idea here.  We would
be implicitly releasing an "odd" release with new features, which is more
than a little confusing.  I do think that CDC is important, so I don't like
#4 (but for less important reasons than #2).  So, I'm good with options 3,
5, or 6 (and perhaps 1, but I don't know enough about it's severity to
endorse/not endorse option 1).  Basically, please don't do #2 (and I'd like
it if you didn't do #4)  :)

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Aleksey Yeschenko <aleksey@apache.org>
wrote:

> What we’d usually do is revert the offending ticket and push it to the
> next release, if this indeed were significant enough.
>
> So option 4 would be to revert CDC fast (painful) and ship.
> Option 5 would be to quickly fix the issue, retag, and revote, with 3.9
> still following up on schedule.
> Option 6 would be to ignore the calendar entirely. Fix or revert the issue
> eventually, and release 3.8 then. Have 3.9 and 3.0.9 out at whatever time
> we decide to, and go back to monthly cycles from there on.
>
> TBH I don’t think anybody is even going to notice, or care. So I’m fine
> with 1, 4, 5, 6, but not reverting my +1 so far.
>
> --
> AY
>
> On 21 July 2016 at 14:46:17, Sylvain Lebresne (sylvain@datastax.com)
> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Jonathan Ellis <jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I see the alternatives as:
> >
> > 1. Release this as 3.8
> > 2. Skip 3.8 and release 3.9 next month on schedule
> > 3. Skip this month and release 3.8 next month instead
> >
>
> I've hopefully made it clear I don't really like 1. I'm totally fine with
> either 2 or 3 though (with a very very small preference for 3. because I
> suspect skipping a release might confuse a few users, but also knowing that
> 2. has the small advantage of keeping the 3.0.x and 3.x versions released
> more or less in lockstep).
>
>
>
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 8:19 AM, Aleksey Yeschenko <aleksey@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I still think the issue is minor enough, and with 3.8 being extremely
> > > delayed, and being a non-odd release, at that, we’d be better off just
> > > pushing it.
> > >
> > > Also, I know we’ve been easy on -1s when voting on releases, but I want
> > to
> > > remind people in general that release votes can not be vetoed and only
> > > require a majority of binding votes,
> > > http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#ReleaseVotes
> > >
> > > --
> > > AY
> > >
> > > On 21 July 2016 at 08:57:22, Sylvain Lebresne (sylvain@datastax.com)
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > Sorry but I'm (binding) -1 on this because of
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12236.
> > >
> > > I disagree that knowingly releasing a version that will temporarily
> break
> > > in-flight queries during upgrade, even if it's for a very short
> > time-frame
> > > until re-connection, is ok. I'll note in particular that in the test
> > > report, there is 74! failures in the upgrade tests (for reference the
> 3.7
> > > test report had only 2 upgrade tests failure both with open tickets).
> > Given
> > > that we have a known problem during upgrade, I don't really buy the "We
> > are
> > > assuming these are due to a recent downsize in instance size that these
> > > tests run on" and that suggest to me the problem is not too minor.
> > >
> > >
> > > On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 6:18 AM, Dave Brosius <
> dbrosius@mebigfatguy.com>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > > +1
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > On 07/20/2016 05:48 PM, Michael Shuler wrote:
> > > >
> > > >> I propose the following artifacts for release as 3.8.
> > > >>
> > > >> sha1: c3ded0551f538f7845602b27d53240cd8129265c
> > > >> Git:
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > >
> >
> http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cassandra.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/3.8-tentative
> > > >> Artifacts:
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > >
> >
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecassandra-1123/org/apache/cassandra/apache-cassandra/3.8/
> > > >> Staging repository:
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > >
> >
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecassandra-1123/
> > > >>
> > > >> The debian packages are available here:
> > > >> http://people.apache.org/~mshuler/
> > > >>
> > > >> The vote will be open for 72 hours (longer if needed).
> > > >>
> > > >> [1]: http://goo.gl/oGNH0i (CHANGES.txt)
> > > >> [2]: http://goo.gl/KjMtUn (NEWS.txt)
> > > >> [3]: https://goo.gl/TxVLKo (3.8 Test Summary)
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Jonathan Ellis
> > Project Chair, Apache Cassandra
> > co-founder, http://www.datastax.com
> > @spyced
> >
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message