cassandra-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Brandon Williams <dri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE RESULT] Release Apache Cassandra 3.8
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2016 22:48:20 GMT
Small nit: there are currently 5 binding +1 and 1 binding -1, (or 2, with
Jonathan.)

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Aleksey Yeschenko <aleksey@apache.org>
wrote:

> Sorry, but I’m counting 3 binding +1s and 1 binding -1 (2, if you
> interpret Jonathan’s emails as such).
>
> Thus, if you were to do close the vote now, the vote is passing with the
> binding majority, and the required minimum # of +1s gained.
>
> I also don’t see the PMC consensus on ‘August 3.8 release target’.
>
> As such, the vote is now reopened for further discussion, and to allow PMC
> to change their votes if they feel like it (I, for one, have just returned,
> and need to reevaluate 12236 in light of new comments).
>
> --
> AY
>
> On 25 July 2016 at 15:46:40, Michael Shuler (mshuler@apache.org) wrote:
>
> Thanks for the clarity, Jonathan. I agree that an August 3.8 release
> target sounds like the most reasonable option, at this point in time.
>
> With Sylvain's binding -1, this vote has failed.
>
> --
> Kind regards,
> Michael Shuler
>
> On 07/21/2016 05:33 PM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> > I feel like the calendar is relevant though because if we delay 3.8 more
> > we're looking at a week, maybe 10 days before 3.9 is scheduled. Which
> > doesn't give us much time for the stabilizing we're supposed to do in
> 3.9.
> >
> > All in all I think I agree that releasing 3.8 in August is less confusing
> > than skipping it entirely. And I don't like the idea of ignoring a whole
> > bunch of test failures and hoping they don't mean anything, because we
> just
> > had that thread about getting more rigorous about tests, not less.
> >
> > So I would recommend we go ahead and fix this before releasing, and to
> > avoid a super compressed 3.9 window either retarget 3.8 for August, or
> 3.9
> > for September.
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Aleksey Yeschenko <aleksey@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> What we’d usually do is revert the offending ticket and push it to the
> >> next release, if this indeed were significant enough.
> >>
> >> So option 4 would be to revert CDC fast (painful) and ship.
> >> Option 5 would be to quickly fix the issue, retag, and revote, with 3.9
> >> still following up on schedule.
> >> Option 6 would be to ignore the calendar entirely. Fix or revert the
> issue
> >> eventually, and release 3.8 then. Have 3.9 and 3.0.9 out at whatever
> time
> >> we decide to, and go back to monthly cycles from there on.
> >>
> >> TBH I don’t think anybody is even going to notice, or care. So I’m fine
> >> with 1, 4, 5, 6, but not reverting my +1 so far.
> >>
> >> --
> >> AY
> >>
> >> On 21 July 2016 at 14:46:17, Sylvain Lebresne (sylvain@datastax.com)
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Jonathan Ellis <jbellis@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >>> I see the alternatives as:
> >>>
> >>> 1. Release this as 3.8
> >>> 2. Skip 3.8 and release 3.9 next month on schedule
> >>> 3. Skip this month and release 3.8 next month instead
> >>>
> >>
> >> I've hopefully made it clear I don't really like 1. I'm totally fine
> with
> >> either 2 or 3 though (with a very very small preference for 3. because I
> >> suspect skipping a release might confuse a few users, but also knowing
> that
> >> 2. has the small advantage of keeping the 3.0.x and 3.x versions
> released
> >> more or less in lockstep).
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>>
> >>> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 8:19 AM, Aleksey Yeschenko <aleksey@apache.org
> >
> >>> wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> I still think the issue is minor enough, and with 3.8 being extremely
> >>>> delayed, and being a non-odd release, at that, we’d be better off
just
> >>>> pushing it.
> >>>>
> >>>> Also, I know we’ve been easy on -1s when voting on releases, but I
> want
> >>> to
> >>>> remind people in general that release votes can not be vetoed and only
> >>>> require a majority of binding votes,
> >>>> http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#ReleaseVotes
> >>>>
> >>>> --
> >>>> AY
> >>>>
> >>>> On 21 July 2016 at 08:57:22, Sylvain Lebresne (sylvain@datastax.com)
> >>>> wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>> Sorry but I'm (binding) -1 on this because of
> >>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12236.
> >>>>
> >>>> I disagree that knowingly releasing a version that will temporarily
> >> break
> >>>> in-flight queries during upgrade, even if it's for a very short
> >>> time-frame
> >>>> until re-connection, is ok. I'll note in particular that in the test
> >>>> report, there is 74! failures in the upgrade tests (for reference the
> >> 3.7
> >>>> test report had only 2 upgrade tests failure both with open tickets).
> >>> Given
> >>>> that we have a known problem during upgrade, I don't really buy the
> "We
> >>> are
> >>>> assuming these are due to a recent downsize in instance size that
> these
> >>>> tests run on" and that suggest to me the problem is not too minor.
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 6:18 AM, Dave Brosius <
> >> dbrosius@mebigfatguy.com>
> >>>> wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>> +1
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> On 07/20/2016 05:48 PM, Michael Shuler wrote:
> >>>>>
> >>>>>> I propose the following artifacts for release as 3.8.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> sha1: c3ded0551f538f7845602b27d53240cd8129265c
> >>>>>> Git:
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>
> http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cassandra.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/3.8-tentative
> >>>>>> Artifacts:
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecassandra-1123/org/apache/cassandra/apache-cassandra/3.8/
> >>>>>> Staging repository:
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecassandra-1123/
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> The debian packages are available here:
> >>>>>> http://people.apache.org/~mshuler/
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> The vote will be open for 72 hours (longer if needed).
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> [1]: http://goo.gl/oGNH0i (CHANGES.txt)
> >>>>>> [2]: http://goo.gl/KjMtUn (NEWS.txt)
> >>>>>> [3]: https://goo.gl/TxVLKo (3.8 Test Summary)
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> --
> >>> Jonathan Ellis
> >>> Project Chair, Apache Cassandra
> >>> co-founder, http://www.datastax.com
> >>> @spyced
> >>>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message