cassandra-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From mylistt...@gmail.com
Subject Re: NewBie Question ~ Book for Cassandra
Date Sun, 12 Jun 2016 06:54:27 GMT
Dear All,

I am user of Cassandra. I am grateful to each of you for providing your time as committers
to the code base for a great product.

This is what I wanted to suggest - could you gentlemen not create a group email   Id to discuss
matters of such importance amongst yourselves. Using the dev list I am not sure is the best
place. I have been reading emails where insinuations have being made - if a particular company
may high jack the code base etc.

We are all developers , we love our code. I don't think this is right forum to bring things
out of this proportion , read wash dirty linen. 

Pardon me if you think my opinion or inputs are wrong.

I am newbie on Cassandra. I use it as an application developer. I don't have any intention
to judge your experiences or thoughts. Just saying this could be done in a finer way without
most if us getting to know about it.

Regards, 
Harmeet



On Jun 12, 2016, at 2:31, Tom Barber <tom.barber@meteorite.bi> wrote:

> Looking at that thread, I'm surprised you didn't call Dave out as well,
> that attitude did no one any favours.
> 
>> Because lets all face the
>> facts here, no one "likes" writing drivers and documentation, and I have
>> done both for this project.
> 
> That's clearly incorrect, I (and I suspect other people) like writing docs
> because it means people can use your tools in a much easier manner than
> looking through the code or unit tests.
> 
> Tooling can be a burden but it doesn't excuse not writing docs, even if it
> becomes a PMC type rule for committers to commit Docs for new features like
> they should be committing unit tests. At least it improves what is shipped
> with the Apache project in question.
> 
> Tom
> 
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 7:21 PM, Chris Mattmann <mattmann@apache.org> wrote:
> 
>> Hi Russell,
>> 
>> [CC/board@, board members may want to join the
>> Apache Cassandra lists for specifics and further
>> engagement]
>> 
>> Multiple things that need to be addressed below, but TL;DR:
>> 
>> 1. I have asked the Apache Cassandra PMC, and its chair, to provide
>> a detailed description on how the project *isn’t* controlled by an
>> external entity in its next monthly board report. The below further
>> re-enforces the control. Further, it re-enforces the vitriol and
>> name calling attitude when questioned and when someone suggests
>> pointing to the Apache documentation and making it better as a first
>> step. I plan on making it very loudly known at our next board meeting
>> that something is awry. CC/board@ ahead of time on that.
>> 
>> 2. You don’t seem to understand Apache. This is unfortunate.  I
>> went to go look you up and see if you are a PMC member for Apache
>> Cassandra. Funny enough, the main page doesn’t even link to the PMC
>> (I couldn’t find a direct link). This isn’t even correct with respect
>> to Apache branding guidelines here at the ASF. Shane, would you
>> like to comment here? For an FYI to everyone, see:
>> http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs.html
>> 
>> After a Google Search, I found this page:
>> https://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Committers
>> 
>> That looks way out of date. Luckily there is the project.apache.org
>> ASF page: https://projects.apache.org/committee.html?cassandra
>> 
>> Which indicates you aren’t a committer or PMC member of the project.
>> This is unfortunate. If you wrote a book for projects I work on, I
>> would have hopefully long before and along the way got involved in
>> the community, and encouraged you to contribute to the *core effort
>> here at the ASF* and took you on the path towards becoming a PMC
>> member in the *Apache project that is the core effort*.
>> 
>> In short, I can see why you don’t understand Apache. It’s likely
>> due to the fact that the Apache Cassandra PMC doesn’t seem to get
>> it either. If they did, they would have worked to explain it to
>> you.  More on that later.
>> 
>> 3. The fact that you think “the companies that I try to [sic] vilify
>> are the *future* of projects like this” isn’t just a statement that
>> indicates you don’t get Apache. That someone in the community (which
>> includes you even though you aren’t a committer or on the PMC) would
>> think the “companies” are the “future” of any ASF project is just
>> way way bad. Like way bad. Off the rails bad. We are *individuals*
>> here, not companies.
>> 
>> 4. You state you have wrote drivers and documentation for this
>> project.  Yet you aren’t a PMC member or committer at the ASF. Ever
>> scratch your head and wonder why? By itself, again, sometimes there
>> are reasons for this. Taken in context, there is something REALLY
>> wrong here.
>> 
>> Now, more specific replies inline below. Jonathan and PMC members
>> for Apache Cassandra. Please take time to explain in your report
>> what’s going on. I’m hopeful with mentorship and guidance and time
>> this can be addressed but right now, not really happy with what
>> I’m seeing.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> **********
>> Specific comments
>> 
>> On 6/11/16, 9:48 AM, "Russell Bradberry" <rbradberry@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 
>>> I respectfully disagree.  "Newbies" should be pointed in the direction
>> that
>>> will ensure the highest possibility of their success with the product.
>>> This is the best decision for the project, regardless of where the
>>> documentation may reside.
>> 
>> While I agree with pointing Newbies to the point where
>> there is the best documentation - I don’t agree that place
>> should be outside of the Apache project.
>> 
>>> 
>>> As one of the authors of an early book on Cassandra, the reason we wrote
>> it
>>> was because the ASF documentation was abysmal.
>> 
>> What did you do to try and counteract this? Did you attempt to submit
>> documentation patches and/or to submit documentation that would address
>> that?
>> 
>>> Now I am happy to say that
>>> the book I wrote is obsolete, not just because it was written against an
>>> early version of Cassandra, but because the external documentation is so
>>> thorough the need for a book to be written in no longer present.
>> 
>> I had no problem with your statement until you put “external” before the
>> word “documentation”.
>> 
>>> 
>>> If the ASF and the PMC want to promote internal documentation, then a
>>> serious amount of time and effort needs to be put into the documentation.
>>> This goes for every project in the ASF. The current state of documentation
>>> in any of the Apache projects sub-standard at best.
>> 
>> This, unfortunately, is a strawman. I tell you that ASF projects should
>> have
>> the documentation that is required to run and should be the *first* place
>> you point users to for your documentation. You respond, well the ASF
>> projects
>> have crappy documentation as a whole. I totally disagree with that. Here’s
>> some examples: Tika, Nutch, Solr/Lucene, Subversion, HTTPD, Spark, Hadoop,
>> Maven, I could easily go on.
>> 
>> A project that has been around as long as *Apache* (note I keep putting
>> *Apache* in front of the project name too - something I don’t see all too
>> often so far and something you should get used to) Cassandra should know
>> better. This isn’t a new Incubator project.
>> 
>>> 
>>> You make mention, several times, of the community, and in this case the
>>> community has decided that the best source of documentation is the one
>> that
>>> has had a company put financial investment into it.  You can't expect a
>>> community of unpaid volunteers to be able to coordinate and contribute
>>> something of that high quality.
>> 
>> Yes, I can. And yes, we do. That’s what we do at the ASF. It’s worked
>> for many, many years, before, Apache Cassandra. It will work long after
>> it too.
>> 
>>> 
>>> Full disclosure, I am *not* on the PMC, nor am I an employee of DataStax
>> or
>>> any other company that provides support for an open source project. I am a
>>> member of the community that sees the highest probability of success of
>>> this project being that the PMC supports the development of the core
>>> product while the ancillary pieces like documentation and drivers get
>>> supported by those who are paid to support it.  Because lets all face the
>>> facts here, no one "likes" writing drivers and documentation, and I have
>>> done both for this project.
>> 
>> Plenty of people are paid to support OSS software, even OSS software at the
>> ASF. But we must be diligent to wear our $dayjob hats, in contrast to the
>> ASF hats, and to do what’s right for the effort at Apache, since in cases
>> such as this, it is the *Apache* project, its community, and its license,
>> that are friendly to downstream users (even companies).
>> 
>>> 
>>> Suffice it to say, that in my opinion, these "companies" that you seem to
>>> be trying so hard to vilify are the future of projects like this. They
>> fill
>>> the gap that the ASF leaves with its volunteer based model.
>>> 
>>> Also, to address your thinly veiled and pointed comments as of late.  It
>>> seems you have already made up your mind about DataStax and are continuing
>>> in an effort to prove your point.  Doing this in a public manner is toxic
>>> for the community and will do nothing more than to divide it and risk
>>> failure of the project.  I suggest you confer with the PMC and the company
>>> *privately* to determine what is best for the project and ultimately the
>>> community.
>> 
>> This statement above, sadly, indicates how broken the governance of
>> this project is. 99% of all discussion in the ASF is public. The only
>> discussion in private is that adding new PMC members and/or committers.
>> Would have been nice for someone long long long before me, to tell you
>> that.
>> 
>> Cheers,
>> Chris
>> 
>>> 
>>> Best,
>>> -Russell Bradberry
>>> 
>>> On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 12:16 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (3980) <
>>> chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>>> 
>>>> Hi Everyone,
>>>> 
>>>> While this may be a current great source of documentation on
>>>> Cassandra, and while it exists externally, the PMC should be
>>>> be promoting (and hopefully ensuring) that the source of documentation
>>>> for Apache Cassandra is here at the ASF.
>>>> 
>>>> I’m happy to be corrected that that is the case, and/or that
>>>> I’ve missed something, but the first reply to questions like
>>>> this from newbies shouldn’t be to point to an external website.
>>>> 
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Chris
>>>> 
>>>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>>> Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
>>>> Chief Architect
>>>> Instrument Software and Science Data Systems Section (398)
>>>> NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Pasadena, CA 91109 USA
>>>> Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
>>>> Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
>>>> WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
>>>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>>> Director, Information Retrieval and Data Science Group (IRDS)
>>>> Adjunct Associate Professor, Computer Science Department
>>>> University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 USA
>>>> WWW: http://irds.usc.edu/
>>>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> On 6/11/16, 8:54 AM, "Bhuvan Rawal" <bhu1rawal@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>>> Hi Deepak,
>>>>> 
>>>>> You can try Datastax Docs, they are most extensive and updated
>>>>> documentation available.
>>>>> As Cassandra is a fast developing technology I wonder if there is a
>> Book
>>>> in
>>>>> the market which covers latest features like Materialized Views/ SASI
>>>> Index
>>>>> or new SSTable Format. I believe the best starting point would be the
>>>>> Academy Tutorials and further Planet Cassandra - A week in Cassandra
>>>> series
>>>>> provides good overview of blogs and developments by Cassandra
>> Evangelists.
>>>>> It also provides link of top blogs which help understand internal
>> working
>>>>> of the Database.
>>>>> 
>>>>> However if you still feel the need, you may refer to books, here are
>> some
>>>>> that I know of -
>>>>> Beginning Apache Cassandra Development - Vivek Mishra - 2014 - Link
>>>>> <
>>>> 
>> https://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Apache-Cassandra-Development-Mishra/dp/1484201434
>>>>> 
>>>>> Cassandra Data Modeling and Analysis - 2014 C.Y. Kan - Link
>>>>> <
>>>> 
>> https://www.amazon.com/Cassandra-Data-Modeling-Analysis-C-Y/dp/1783988886/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1465659906&sr=1-1&keywords=cassandra+data+modeling+and+analysis
>>>>> 
>>>>> Mastering Apache Cassandra - Second Edition - March 26 2015 - Link
>>>>> <
>>>> 
>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1784392618/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687622&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1484201434&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=YVM1QBXHKAFK18J1XBAC
>>>>> 
>>>>> Cassandra Design Patterns - 2015 - Link
>>>>> <
>>>> 
>> https://www.amazon.com/Cassandra-Design-Patterns-Rajanarayanan-Thottuvaikkatumana/dp/178528570X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1465659937&sr=1-1&keywords=cassandra+design+patterns
>>>>> 
>>>>> Cassandra High Availability - 2014 - Link
>>>>> <
>>>> 
>> https://www.amazon.com/Cassandra-High-Availability-Robbie-Strickland/dp/1783989122/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1465659975&sr=1-1&keywords=cassandra+high+availability
>>>>> 
>>>>> Learning Apache Cassandra - Manage Fault Tolerant and Scalable
>> Real-Time
>>>>> Data - 2015 - Link
>>>>> <
>>>> 
>> https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Apache-Cassandra-Tolerant-Real-Time/dp/1783989203/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1465659975&sr=1-3&keywords=cassandra+high+availability
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> Best Regards,
>>>>> Bhuvan
>>>>> Datastax Certified Architect
>>>>> 
>>>>> On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 8:28 PM, Deepak Goel <deicool@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>>> Hey
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Namaskara~Nalama~Guten Tag~Bonjour
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> I am a newbie.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Which would be the best book for a newbie to learn Cassandra?
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Thank You
>>>>>> Deepak
>>>>>>   --
>>>>>> Keigu
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Deepak
>>>>>> 73500 12833
>>>>>> www.simtree.net, deepak@simtree.net
>>>>>> deicool@gmail.com
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/deicool
>>>>>> Skype: thumsupdeicool
>>>>>> Google talk: deicool
>>>>>> Blog: http://loveandfearless.wordpress.com
>>>>>> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/deicool
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> "Contribute to the world, environment and more :
>>>>>> http://www.gridrepublic.org
>>>>>> "
>>>>>> 
>>>> 
>> 
>> 

Mime
View raw message