cassandra-dev mailing list archives

From Anuj Wadehra <anujw_2...@yahoo.co.in.INVALID>
Subject Re: Criteria for upgrading to 3.x releases in PROD
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2016 17:54:49 GMT
Hi All,
For last several months, the "most stable version" question pops up on the user mailing list
and then people get all sorts of responses/suggestions..
If you are conservative go for x if adventurous y..
If you have good risk appetite go for x else y..
If you want features go for x else y..

Unfortunately, all above responses dont help many users..but only reinforce the low confidence
in latest releases.Who wants to be adventurous in Production? Who wants to test his risk appetite
in Production? And who would want features for stability in Production? Not many..I am sure.
So my question is:
Would it be a wise decision to mention the "most stable/production ready" version (as it used
to be before 3.x) on the Apache website till tick-tock release strategy evolves and matures?
 That will somewhat contradict the tick-tock philosphy of stable odd releases but would be
more realistic as every big change needs time to stabilise. Its slightly unfair, if users
are kept in confused state till the strategy matures and starts delivering solid stable builds.
I think the question is more appropriate in dev list so I have kept it here.
ThanksAnuj
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Mon, 11 Apr, 2016 at 11:39 PM, Aleksey Yeschenko<aleksey@apache.org> wrote:   The
answer will depend on how conservative you are.

The most conservative choice overall would be to go with the 2.2.x line.

3.0.x if you want to the new nice and shiny 3.0 things, but can tolerate some risk (the branch
has a lot of relatively new core code, and hasn’t yet been tried out by as many users as
the 2.x branch had).

The latest odd 3.x if you want the shiniest (3.5 to be released soon, with features like the
new SASI secondary indexes support). Also, there hasn’t yet been that much divergence between
3.0.x and 3.x, so risk levels are around the same, so long as you limit yourself to only the
features present in 3.0.x.

Either way, make sure to properly test whatever release you go for in staging first, as Michael
says, and you’ll be alright.

--
AY