cassandra-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: local truncate of hints
Date Sat, 09 Nov 2013 21:48:46 GMT
Hints are not replicated (technically: replicated with LocalStrategy),
so truncating hints will always only affect the local node.

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Cyril Scetbon <cyril.scetbon@free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to add a feature request for local truncates of hints but I want to know
your opinion before.

> We faced an issue last week concerning 3 new nodes that where not seen by some other
nodes in the ring. a week later we resolved the issues but it was taking days with a high
CPU load (85%) to apply GBytes of Hints. I noticed that CF Hints is defined with LocalStategy
and so thought the truncate was only local but that wasn't. We had to remove sstables, commitlog
and cached to remove all that old hints stored but not removed after max_hint_window_in_ms
 as target nodes where not dead (they were only not accepting hints).

> So, I suggest that the truncate of hints stay local (maybe you need it to stay global
per default ?) or that we could do it locally (a truncate argument or a new command like the
one used for CONSISTENCY)

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra