cassandra-dev mailing list archives

From Vivek Mishra <vivek.mis...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic columns in a column family?
Date Sat, 07 Jan 2012 12:42:36 GMT
I think Cassandra automatically handles it. isn't it?

________________________________
 From: Frank Yang <fanfrankyang@gmail.com>
To: dev@cassandra.apache.org
Sent: Friday, January 6, 2012 11:30 PM
Subject: Dynamic columns in a column family?

Hi everyone,

I am wondering whether it is possible to not to define the column
metadata when creating a column family, but to specify the column when
client updates data, for example:

CREATE COLUMN FAMILY products WITH default_validation_class= UTF8Type
AND key_validation_class=UTF8Type AND comparator=UTF8Type;
set products['1001']['brand']= ‘Sony’;

In other words, we don't want to fix the columns definition when
creating a column family, as we might have to insert new columns into
the column family.  Is it possible to achieve it?

Thanks,
Fan