cassandra-dev mailing list archives

From Courtney Robinson <sa...@live.co.uk>
Subject PHP Cassandra CQL driver
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2011 09:34:21 GMT
Okay, Dave Gardner, Nick Telford and myself met at the London Cassandra meetup.
We were keen on getting a PHP CQL driver done and decided to use github while working on it.
This mail is mainly to raise awareness of this as well as to ask a few questions and throw
a few things
out there that came up.

These are in no particular order and are just how I remember them.
Firstly, has it already been taken into consideration that CQL implicitly means injections
may become a problem?

Secondly and this wasn’t so much of a problem but more of a suggestion. While going through
the Java and Python
versions, there was a significant lack of docs. I think at the moment that’s because Eric
Evans may be the only one
moulding CQL together but if we’re going to get many drivers done It will help other Devs
and not scare off potential
devs. who aren’t close or overly familiar with Cassandra’s internals.

For Devs interested in contributing to the PHP Cassandra (PHPCad) driver, its on github @
https://github.com/zcourts/PHPCad

We also wondered about actually making this an “official” driver. Once it is in a stable
state, do we just let Eric or one of the other committers know or is there a particularly
long winded process that has to be followed?

The code on Github at the moment is a reversed engineered version of the Java impl. in PHP.
I think we’ve agreed that its too “JDBC” like with a lot of methods etc that aren’t
necessary/needed so Dave has written up some classes and interfaces off the Python version
so we’ll be changing the base code to those as soon as he gets some time.

I’m sure there were other things, possibly more important that I’ve forgotten since the
meetup but they’ll come to light in due time. Again, the driving force behind this at the
moment seems to need more man power, we’d like to get a bit more momentum behind it and
kick off drivers in a few other languages. Anyone wishing to contrib. should get it out there.

For ref, a very good link explaining the CQL syntax posted yesterday I believe
 https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cassandra/trunk/doc/cql/CQL.html?view=co