cassandra-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: loadbalance and different strategies
Date Wed, 10 Feb 2010 03:45:45 GMT
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Jaakko <rosvopaallikko@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let us suppose that all ranges are equal in size. In this case G's
> range is A-G. If X boots in G's DC, it should take a token in the
> middle of this range, which would be somewhere around D. If X boots
> behind D

Ah, I see, you are saying, "G has replicas from A-G, so really it
should take a pare of E's range instead of G's."

That seems reasonable, although it feels a little weird for X to as G
for a token and be given one that G isn't the primary for.

> Yes, alternating the nodes is certainly the best. However, two DCs
> don't always have the same number of nodes. Also, currently
> loadbalance is unusable in such environment.

You're always going to have situations where a simple algorithm does
the "wrong" thing though, which is why we leave the raw move command
exposed.

-Jonathan