cassandra-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: More verbose svn commit messages would be useful
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2009 18:19:50 GMT
> But my philosophy in general is that commit messages should be a one
> sentance summary.  Maybe two.  Gory details should be in jira and the
> code, if necessary.  The linux kernel may prefer to be more verbose
> but that is not the only way to do things; I think you will find that
> smaller projects lean towards being more terse.  I checked a few
> projects I have checked out locally (sqlalchemy, thrift, hadoop core,
> and hbase) and all seem to follow "one sentence or two."

One sentence or two is fine ... as long as it captures nature of the commit.

More important is to add the name of contributor of the patch (also
for legal reasons) and it's more than just convenient to provide a
link to the jira. That is common practice.

No biggy - but please keep that in mind next time :)

cheers
--
Torsten