cassandra-dev mailing list archives

From Zhu Han <schumi....@gmail.com>
Subject question about the gossip protocol
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:54:04 GMT
Hi,

I have a question about the gossip protocol. implemented in Cassandra. Why
does the Gossiper.java include the HeartBeat count
in the ApplicateState version. This would incur a syn message/ack
message/ack2 messag exchange almost every round of gossip. Can't we doesn't
include the Hertbeat  in the gossip digest message and doesn't increase the
maxium application version unless the application updates the application
state?  We can test whether the peer node is still alive by observing the
increase of the heart beat count in the Gossipe digest message. Is it
practical to make a path following this? Or do I miss anything here?

best regards,
hanzhu