cassandra-dev mailing list archives

From Johan Oskarsson <jo...@oskarsson.nu>
Subject Re: Website [WAS Re: Wiki]
Date Sun, 29 Mar 2009 22:03:49 GMT
We now have a first version of the site running:
http://incubator.apache.org/cassandra

However, Matthieu commented on the wiki ticket here:
that he wants a decision on the site's future before moving on.

The two options as far as I know:

1. Store the site and any source material in svn, publish to the
apache.org site. It could be raw html, forrest xml+generated html, a
script that generates html or something similar.

2. Use a wiki as the site. Confluence?

Personally I prefer option 1, so we can accept website patches from
anyone and leave the wiki as a publicly editable place for everyone to
share information.

I don't care if we use Forrest or not for the site, it was just an easy
way to get started and a lot of Apache projects use it already. If
option 1 is chosen we can discuss what tool to use later.

What does everyone think? Should we initiate a vote about it?

/Johan

Sandeep Tata wrote:
> I think the Forrest site is great to start with. If you check it into
> the repository, others will be able to contribute patches much like
> code and the burden of building up the website will not fall on just
> the committers.
>
> A publicly editable wiki might work too, but if only the committers
> have edit permissions -- much of the work for building the site falls
> on them. We want to quickly get to a point where the committers can
> review patches and guide the community in adding value to the code.
> Not be bogged down in editing websites :)
>

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Matthieu Riou <matthieu.riou@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Avinash Lakshman <
>> avinash.lakshman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I guess. Isn't that easier? Is there something else that is the norm?
>>>
>> No norm, just several different options. I personally like when the source
>> used to generate the site can be checked in the repository but that's mostly
>> a matter of taste. This for example is generated with Forrest:
>>
>> http://ant.apache.org/
>> http://lucene.apache.org/
>>
>> This is generated by a set of Ruby scripts from Textile files:
>>
>> http://buildr.apache.org/
>>
>> And this is generated from Confluence using custom templates:
>>
>> http://geronimo.apache.org/
>> http://ode.apache.org/
>>
>> FWIW, a Forrest site has already been contributed so that could be used to
>> start with until a sexier option is implemented?
>>
>> Matthieu
>>

>>> Avinash

Do

without public