cassandra-commits mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "jaikiran pai (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Updated] (CASSANDRA-13788) Seemingly valid Java UDF fails compilation with error "type cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class files"
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2017 07:22:00 GMT

     [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13788?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel
]

jaikiran pai updated CASSANDRA-13788:
-------------------------------------
    Issue Type: Improvement  (was: Bug)

> Seemingly valid Java UDF fails compilation with error "type cannot be resolved. It is
indirectly referenced from required .class files"
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: CASSANDRA-13788
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13788
>             Project: Cassandra
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>          Components: CQL
>         Environment: Cassandra 3.11.0 
> java version "1.8.0_131"
> Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_131-b11)
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.131-b11, mixed mode)
>            Reporter: jaikiran pai
>
> We are moving to Cassandra 3.11.0 from Cassandra 2.x. We have a Java UDF which is straightforward
and looks something like:
> {code}
> CREATE FUNCTION utf8_text_size (val TEXT)
> CALLED ON NULL INPUT
> RETURNS INT
> LANGUAGE java
> AS 'if (val == null) {                return 0;            }            try {       
        return val.getBytes("UTF-8").length;            } catch (Exception e) {          
     throw new RuntimeException("Failed to compute size of UTF-8 text", e);            }';
> {code}
> This works fine in Cassandra 2.x. In Cassandra 3.11.0 when this UDF is being created,
we keep running into this exception when the UDF is being (internally) compiled:
> {code}
> InvalidRequest: Error from server: code=2200 [Invalid query] message="Java source compilation
failed:
> Line 1: The type java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException cannot be resolved. It is indirectly
referenced from required .class files
> Line 1: The type java.nio.charset.Charset cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced
from required .class files
> Line 1: The method getBytes(String) from the type String refers to the missing type UnsupportedEncodingException
> {code}
> I realize there have been changes to the UDF support in Cassandra 3.x and I also have
read this[1] article related to it. However, I don't see anything wrong with the above UDF.
In fact, I enabled TRACE logging of {{org.apache.cassandra.cql3.functions}} which is where
the {{JavaBasedUDFunction}} resides to see what the generated source looks like. Here's what
it looks like (I have modified the classname etc, but nothing else):
> {code}
> package org.myapp;
> import java.nio.ByteBuffer;
> import java.util.*;
> import org.apache.cassandra.cql3.functions.JavaUDF;
> import org.apache.cassandra.cql3.functions.UDFContext;
> import org.apache.cassandra.transport.ProtocolVersion;
> import com.datastax.driver.core.TypeCodec;
> import com.datastax.driver.core.TupleValue;
> import com.datastax.driver.core.UDTValue;
> public final class CassandraUDFTest extends JavaUDF
> {
>     public CassandraUDFTest(TypeCodec<Object> returnCodec, TypeCodec<Object>[]
argCodecs, UDFContext udfContext)
>     {
>         super(returnCodec, argCodecs, udfContext);
>     }
>     protected ByteBuffer executeImpl(ProtocolVersion protocolVersion, List<ByteBuffer>
params)
>     {
>         Integer result = xsome_keyspace_2eutf8_text_size_3232115_9(
>             /* parameter 'val' */
>             (String) super.compose(protocolVersion, 0, params.get(0))
>         );
>         return super.decompose(protocolVersion, result);
>     }
>     protected Object executeAggregateImpl(ProtocolVersion protocolVersion, Object firstParam,
List<ByteBuffer> params)
>     {
>         Integer result = xsome_keyspace_2eutf8_text_size_3232115_9(
>             /* parameter 'val' */
>             (String) firstParam
>         );
>         return result;
>     }
>     private Integer xsome_keyspace_2eutf8_text_size_3232115_9(String val)
>     {
> if (val == null) {                return 0;            }            try {           
    return val.getBytes("UTF-8").length;            } catch (Exception e) {              
 throw new RuntimeException("Failed to compute size of UTF-8 text", e);            }
>     }
> }
> {code}
> I then went ahead and compiled this generated class from command line using the (Oracle)
Java compiler as follows:
> {code}
> javac -cp "/opt/cassandra/apache-cassandra-3.11.0/lib/*" org/myapp/CassandraUDFTest.java
> {code}
> and it compiled fine without any errors. 
> Looking at the {{JavaBasedUDFunction}} which compiles this UDF at runtime, it's using
Eclipse JDT compiler. I haven't looked into why it would be running into these compilation
errors.
> [1] http://batey.info/cassandra-udfs.html



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.4.14#64029)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: commits-unsubscribe@cassandra.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: commits-help@cassandra.apache.org


Mime
View raw message