cassandra-commits mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Caleb William Rackliffe (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Updated] (CASSANDRA-7466) Unit Test Suite Breaks when Run in a Single JVM
Date Sat, 28 Jun 2014 06:52:24 GMT

     [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-7466?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel
]

Caleb William Rackliffe updated CASSANDRA-7466:
-----------------------------------------------

    Description: 
Note: Instead of picking a version below, I'll simply note that I'm on {{trunk}} at commit
{{c027183ea4e901cf1d44e06704f6d78f84405bb4}}

I pulled down the source and followed http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/RunningCassandraInIDEA
to import C* as an IDEA project. Everything in the tutorial works as it should, but when I
tried to run the unit tests in {{test/unit/org.apache.cassandra}}, the suite failed a couple
tests in, complaining that it couldn't find the {{system}} keyspace in {{build/test/cassandra/data}}.

tl;dr static initialization makes it hard to run the unit tests in the same JVM

The full story is that...
1.) When the first test in the suite is run, the {{system}} keyspace is created on disk and
in the in-memory schema.
2.) Many subsequent tests, like {{BlacklistingCompactionsTest}}, remove the {{system}} keyspace
directory (among other things) in {{defineSchema()}} with a call to {{SchemaLoader.prepareServer()}}.
3.) While these tests create the keyspaces they require, they do *not* recreate the system
keyspace, and so they fail when they force a compaction or perform any other action that goes
looking for it.

You can run the suite with IDEA's class/method forking, and you get a little bit better results,
but it still seems like this shouldn't be necessary.

I guess there are two ways to fix it:
1.) We rebuild the system keyspace before for each test.
2.) We leave the system keyspace alone.

I took a hack at #1 in the attached patch. It looks like it to fixes this specific problem,
but I'm not super-believable in this codebase yet...

  was:
Note: Instead of picking a version below, I'll simply note that I'm on {{trunk}} at commit
{{c027183ea4e901cf1d44e06704f6d78f84405bb4}}

I pulled down the source and followed http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/RunningCassandraInIDEA
to import C* as an IDEA project. Everything in the tutorial works as it should, but when I
tried to run the unit tests in {{test/unit/org.apache.cassandra}}, the suite failed a couple
tests in, complaining that it couldn't find the {{system}} keyspace in {{build/test/cassandra/data}}.

tl;dr static initialization makes it hard to run the unit tests in the same JVM

The full story is that...
1.) When the first test in the suite is run, the {{system}} keyspace is created on disk and
in the in-memory schema.
2.) Many subsequent tests, like {{BlacklistingCompactionsTest}}, remove the {{system}} keyspace
directory (among other things) in {{defineSchema()}} with a call to {{SchemaLoader.prepareServer()}}.
3.) While these tests create the keyspaces they require, they do *not* recreate the system
keyspace, and so they fail when they force a compaction or perform any other action that goes
looking for it.

I guess there are two ways to fix this:
1.) We rebuild the system keyspace before for each test.
2.) We leave the system keyspace alone.

I took a hack at #1 in the attached patch. It looks like it to fixes this specific problem,
but I'm not super-believable in this codebase yet...


> Unit Test Suite Breaks when Run in a Single JVM
> -----------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: CASSANDRA-7466
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-7466
>             Project: Cassandra
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: Tests
>         Environment: MacOS 10.9.3, IntelliJ IDEA 13.1.3, Java 1.7.0_51
>            Reporter: Caleb William Rackliffe
>            Priority: Minor
>              Labels: test, test-fail, testcase, tests, testsuite
>         Attachments: trunk-7466.txt
>
>
> Note: Instead of picking a version below, I'll simply note that I'm on {{trunk}} at commit
{{c027183ea4e901cf1d44e06704f6d78f84405bb4}}
> I pulled down the source and followed http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/RunningCassandraInIDEA
to import C* as an IDEA project. Everything in the tutorial works as it should, but when I
tried to run the unit tests in {{test/unit/org.apache.cassandra}}, the suite failed a couple
tests in, complaining that it couldn't find the {{system}} keyspace in {{build/test/cassandra/data}}.
> tl;dr static initialization makes it hard to run the unit tests in the same JVM
> The full story is that...
> 1.) When the first test in the suite is run, the {{system}} keyspace is created on disk
and in the in-memory schema.
> 2.) Many subsequent tests, like {{BlacklistingCompactionsTest}}, remove the {{system}}
keyspace directory (among other things) in {{defineSchema()}} with a call to {{SchemaLoader.prepareServer()}}.
> 3.) While these tests create the keyspaces they require, they do *not* recreate the system
keyspace, and so they fail when they force a compaction or perform any other action that goes
looking for it.
> You can run the suite with IDEA's class/method forking, and you get a little bit better
results, but it still seems like this shouldn't be necessary.
> I guess there are two ways to fix it:
> 1.) We rebuild the system keyspace before for each test.
> 2.) We leave the system keyspace alone.
> I took a hack at #1 in the attached patch. It looks like it to fixes this specific problem,
but I'm not super-believable in this codebase yet...



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.2#6252)

Mime
View raw message