cassandra-commits mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Jacek Furmankiewicz (JIRA)" <>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (CASSANDRA-7088) Zero length BigInteger exception causing processing to freeze
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2014 16:18:15 GMT


Jacek Furmankiewicz commented on CASSANDRA-7088:

Since we do not get any exception on the Java side it is a bit complicated to figure out which
query is causing this. I suspect it is a regular background query we have to a wide row with
composite column, that we use as a sort of internal message queue for piping data from Cassandra
to an external destination later.

I will try to run our app in DEBUG mode as well to see which query correlates with this one
and see if my suspicions are correct.

if the stack trace above gives you any hints, let us know

thank you

>  Zero length BigInteger exception causing processing to freeze
> --------------------------------------------------------------
>                 Key: CASSANDRA-7088
>                 URL:
>             Project: Cassandra
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: Core
>         Environment: Linux Mint 16
>            Reporter: Jacek Furmankiewicz
>         Attachments: cassandra.yaml
> We attempted to migrate our developers to Cassandra 2.0.7 from 1.2.
> Everything worked perfectly, but we have experienced a massive drop in developer velocity.
> We run integration tests with Cucumber BDD and 1000 BDDs went from 7 minutes (Cassandra
1.2) to 15 minutes (2.0.7),
> This is when we run Cassandra of the ramdisk (/dev/shm) to make it run faster on dev
> When we tried pointed to actual drives  the difference was dramatic: the entire suite
took over 70 minutes (!) vs 15 in Cassandra 1.2.
> After investigation, we found that most of the time is spent in the truncation logic
between every scenario, where we truncate all the column families and start with a clean DB
for the next test case.
> This used to be super fast in 1.2, is now very slow in 2.0.
> It may not seem important, but upgrading to 2.0 has basically cut down developer velocity
by 100%, just by more than doubling the time it takes to run our BDD suite.
> We truncate the CFs using the Ruby driver:
>   $cassandra.column_families.each do |column_family|
>         name = column_family[0].to_s
>         $cassandra.truncate! name
>   end
> I am attaching our cassandra.yaml. Please note we already switched off auto_compaction
before truncate, just as we did in 1.2 for dev boxes, Made no difference.

This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA

View raw message