cassandra-commits mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "paul cannon (Updated) (JIRA)" <>
Subject [jira] [Updated] (CASSANDRA-4078) StackOverflowError when upgrading to 1.0.8 from 0.8.10
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2012 20:41:25 GMT


paul cannon updated CASSANDRA-4078:

    Attachment: 4078.patch2.txt

Ok. We'll keep that info around in case we ever see something like this again. Thanks.

I do recommend that these asserts (patch attached, also at my pending/4078-2 tag in github)
get committed to mainline Cassandra, though, to help protect against this sort of situation.
The asserts in this patch will not catch all possible updates to SSTable.last, but they surround
some of the more important (and less frequent) places.

Also, the asserts inside the IntervalTree creation should avoid getting into confusing StackOverflowError
> StackOverflowError when upgrading to 1.0.8 from 0.8.10
> ------------------------------------------------------
>                 Key: CASSANDRA-4078
>                 URL:
>             Project: Cassandra
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: Core
>    Affects Versions: 0.8.10
>         Environment: OS: Linux xps.openfin #1 SMP Tue May 3 13:36:36
UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> Java: JVM vendor/version: Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM/1.6.0_31
>            Reporter: Wenjun
>            Assignee: paul cannon
>            Priority: Critical
>             Fix For: 0.8.10
>         Attachments: 4078.add-asserts.txt, 4078.patch2.txt, cassandra.yaml.1.0.8, cassandra.yaml.8.10,
keycheck.txt, system.log, system.log.0326, system.log.0326-02
> Hello
> I am trying to upgrade our 1-node setup from 0.8.10 to 1.0.8 and seeing the following
exception when starting up 1.0.8.  We have been running 0.8.10 without any issues.
> Attached is the entire log file during startup of 1.0.8.  There are 2 exceptions:
> 1. StackOverflowError (line 2599)
> 2. InstanceAlreadyExistsException (line 3632)
> I tried "run scrub" under 0.8.10 first, it did not help.  Also, I tried dropping the
column family which caused the exception, it just got the same exceptions from another column
> Thanks

This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators:!default.jspa
For more information on JIRA, see:


View raw message