cassandra-client-dev mailing list archives

From "Nimi Wariboko Jr." <nimiwaribo...@gmail.com>
Subject How to deal with org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.* types in client drivers?
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2014 08:31:22 GMT
Hi,

After upgrading my cluster from 1.2.16 to 2.0.6, when using the Cassandra community Go driver
(http://github.com/gocql/gocql), I’ve found that columns that used to return the native
TypeTimestamp (0x000D), now return TypeCustom (0x0000) with the name 'org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.DataType’.
As far as I can tell the serialization format is identical to TypeTimestamp, but it is unclear
why Cassandra made the change, or how to reproduce it (if I create a new table, Cassandra
2.0.6 will return TypeTimestamp).

After studying the other drivers its clear that there are special cases for the ‘org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.*’
types however I can’t seem to find any documentation on what types exist and how to deal
with them (other than what’s in code). Can someone point me to a documentation and/or explain
these types?

Thanks