cassandra-client-dev mailing list archives

From Anthony Molinaro <antho...@alumni.caltech.edu>
Subject Re: Erlang Thrift generator broken?
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:55:50 GMT
BTW, HEAD of thrift now does the right thing in this case in that name will
be specified as type string() | binary(), and undefined is left off in most
cases.

-Anthony

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:11:44AM -0800, Anthony Molinaro wrote:
> This sort of question should probably be sent to the thrift development list but I can
answer here that the thrift generator should probably generate a different spec (binaries
are returned as that is what comes through in the packets and the thrift library does not
process them).  Please file a bug report against the thrift project JIRA.

> Thanks
>
> -Anthony
>
> On Dec 18, 2011, at 5:01 PM, Roberto Ostinelli <roberto@widetag.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear list,
> >
> > I'm building an Erlang CQL client for Cassandra. I'm using Thrift version 0.8.0,
and Cassandra 1.0.5. I've generated the Erlang Thrift code with the command:
> > thrift --gen erl cassandra/interface/cassandra.thrift
> >
> > One of the generate files, cassandra_types.hrl, seems to have incorrect record definitions.
To be more precise:

> > -record(cqlMetadata, {name_types = dict:new() :: dict(),
> >                      value_types = dict:new() :: dict(),
> >                      default_name_type = undefined :: string(),
> >                      default_value_type = undefined :: string()}).
> >

> > -record(column, {name = undefined :: string(),
> >        value = undefined :: string(),
> >                 timestamp = undefined :: integer(),
> >                 ttl = undefined :: integer()}).
> >
> > For instance, these two records specify string() in name and value columns, but
the real returned values from Cassandra are binary(). Haven't tested it yet, but everytime
there's a string() specification in this file, it really seems that it should be binary(),
which is what thrift calls return from Cassandra.

> > Is this the appropriate list where I should report this, or should I do so in some
other list dedicated to API development?

Anthony Molinaro                           <anthonym@alumni.caltech.edu>