cassandra-client-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Morton <aa...@the-mortons.org>
Subject Detecting cluster membership
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2010 01:35:22 GMT
When I first started writing code against the thrift API the FAQ recommended using a round
robin DNS to select nodes http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#node_clients_connect_to

The other day Ben said something like "well behaved clients use describe_ring to keep track
of running nodes". http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg05588.html

So am wondering what approach people are taking to detecting cluster membership.

1. Round Robin

2. List seeds in app config, connect to a seed, use describe_ring.

3. Round robin and describe_ring

One issue I've found with round robin, is that is the machine is powered off it can take a
while for the network to work out there is no ARP for the IP. This may just be a result of
the network here, have not looked into it too far.

cheers
Aaron