carbondata-issues mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Chetan Bhat (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Updated] (CARBONDATA-1808) (Carbon1.3.0 - Alter Table) Inconsistency in create table and alter table usage for char and varchar column
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2017 05:48:00 GMT

     [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CARBONDATA-1808?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel
]

Chetan Bhat updated CARBONDATA-1808:
------------------------------------
    Summary: (Carbon1.3.0 - Alter Table) Inconsistency in create table and alter table usage
for char and varchar column  (was: Inconsistency in create table and alter table usage for
char and varchar column)

> (Carbon1.3.0 - Alter Table) Inconsistency in create table and alter table usage for char
and varchar column
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: CARBONDATA-1808
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CARBONDATA-1808
>             Project: CarbonData
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: sql
>    Affects Versions: 1.3.0
>         Environment: 3 node ant cluster
>            Reporter: Chetan Bhat
>            Assignee: anubhav tarar
>            Priority: Minor
>              Labels: Functional
>          Time Spent: 1h 10m
>  Remaining Estimate: 0h
>
> Steps:
> User creates a table with char datatype --> Create table is success.
> 0: jdbc:hive2://10.18.98.34:23040> CREATE TABLE sensor_reading_blockblank_false(id
char)  STORED BY 'carbondata';
> +---------+--+
> | Result  |
> +---------+--+
> +---------+--+
> No rows selected (0.688 seconds)
> User tries to alter the table using column name for char datatype in the same way.
> alter table sensor_reading_blockblank_false add columns(id1 char);
> Issue : Alter table fails with parsing error as shown below
> 0: jdbc:hive2://10.18.98.34:23040> alter table sensor_reading_blockblank_false add
columns(id1 char);
> Error: java.lang.RuntimeException:
> BaseSqlParser>>>>
> Operation not allowed: alter table add columns(line 1, pos 0)
> == SQL ==
> alter table sensor_reading_blockblank_false add columns(id1 char)
> ^^^
> CarbonSqlParser>>>> [1.65] failure: ``('' expected but `)' found
> alter table sensor_reading_blockblank_false add columns(id1 char)
>                                                                 ^ (state=,code=0)
> Similar consistency issue is observed for varchar data type create table and alter table
usage.
> 0: jdbc:hive2://10.18.98.34:23040> CREATE TABLE sensor_reading_blockblank_false(id
varchar)  STORED BY 'carbondata';
> +---------+--+
> | Result  |
> +---------+--+
> +---------+--+
> No rows selected (0.244 seconds)
> 0: jdbc:hive2://10.18.98.34:23040> alter table sensor_reading_blockblank_false add
columns(id1 varchar);
> Error: java.lang.RuntimeException:
> BaseSqlParser>>>>
> Operation not allowed: alter table add columns(line 1, pos 0)
> == SQL ==
> alter table sensor_reading_blockblank_false add columns(id1 varchar)
> ^^^
> CarbonSqlParser>>>> [1.68] failure: ``('' expected but `)' found
> alter table sensor_reading_blockblank_false add columns(id1 varchar)
>                                                                    ^ (state=,code=0)
> Expected : The create table and alter table output should be consistent for char and
varchar types for similar syntax usage.



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.4.14#64029)

Mime
View raw message