camel-users mailing list archives

From Bilgin Ibryam <bibr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenHub framework - Apache Camel, but improved ...
Date Sat, 25 Nov 2017 14:11:39 GMT
Hello OpenHub,

It is great to see another product based on Apache Camel. Seems like an
interesting stack with Camel, and hope you become even more successful, and
contribute back to Apache Camel to make it a better as well.

I cannot resist express my personal opinion about one thing I dislike about
OpenHub - its tag line: “Apache Camel, but improved”
Looking at your architecture diagram, it seems it is another packaging of
Apache Camel with modern tools around it, which is great. That is a very
similar model to Talend ESB, JBoss Fuse, JBoss Switchyard, etc. None of
these projects are “Better Camel”, as Camel is a pure library that can be
embedded in all kind of stacks, and aforementioned projects are packaging
of Camel with other projects.

So saying “Better Camel” is misleading as it implies OpenHub is an
equivalent of Camel, where in essence it is Camel with addons.
Don’t take this personally, I have been comparing Camel (to Spring Boot
which is actually something similar to Apache Camel), blogging, defending
Camel often and for over a decade there has not come another framework that
is in the same category as Camel but better. OpenHub is not an exception
here either.

Hope you see my feedback as a constrictive one and it can help you make
OpenHub better.
Good luck and looking forward to see PRs to Camel and make it better ;)

Bilgin

--
Bilgin Ibryam
ASF Member | Architect at Red Hat