camel-users mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Springboots vs Osgi // for Camel Apps
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2017 08:26:40 GMT
The packaging as spring boot or OSGi application should not affect the
performance.
You should be able to scale OSGi packagings in the same way as spring
boot by adding more instances.

One problem with spring boot is that it is more difficult to package
several integrations into one image. OSGi provides good mechanisms for
bundles to share the same runtime.
Packaging several integrations into the same runtime safes a lot of
memory. On the other hand you might experience instabilities when
throwing too many different things together.

So if you consider spring boot then do the math and predict the number
of integrations you have and multiply by the memory per runtime.
Basically spring boot deployments tend to need lots of runtimes. It can
be quite a problem to manage all these. Often you need a cloud
environment to effectively manage spring boot deployments. People also
often underestimate how expensive cloud deployments can be if you need a
lot of instances and or memory.

Christian

On 03.01.2017 07:26, contactreji wrote:
> Does anyone have any inputs on whether packaging my apps as Springboots
> offers more flexibility in terms of scalability, performance and more
> importantly stability for an Apache Camel application or does osgi based
> platforms like Jboss Fuse / Servicemix have an edge over it in these
> aspects?
>
> What is the recommended way to do it? I need my middleware to be well
> scalable as the load increases and I am looking at dockerize'ing my
> application to host on AWS or Kubernetes platforms.
>
> I am looking at ELK  stack for log monitoring and Graphite/Grafana for
> metrics boarding.
>
> Cheers
>

> -----
> Reji Mathews
> Sr. Developer - Middleware Integration / SOA ( Open Source - Apache Camel & Jboss
Fuse ESB | Mule ESB )