camel-users mailing list archives

From souciance <>
Subject Re: Springboots vs Osgi // for Camel Apps
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2017 07:47:40 GMT

I don't have any experience with Spring Boot so my thoughts will be on OSGI
and in particular Karaf. I have  setup similar to what you are asking,
namely we put each single camel application inside Karaf which itself is
packaged in docker and then deployed to AWS or somewhere else.

The trickiest part for me was to get the self-contained karaf distribution
worked. I am not sure what the spring boot equivalent is but in Karaf world
you can create a zip package that contains your Karaf installation as well
as your Camel application. Then inside docker you simply install Karaf and
start it and your Camel apps start on runtime. You don't then need to add
them later as is normally done in a traditional server setup. However this
took some time to figure and setup. That for me is the biggest headache,
namely trying to figure out the different parts of the configuration. Once
it works it is really effective. Off course another issue is the
compatibility of Camel versions with Karaf versions. It isn't always the
case that the latest version of one works with the latest versions of the
other. Then again using a self-contained Karaf package I can test upgrades
easily and see how things work. The dockerization part is easy. I also like
that it is is easy to install external components in Karaf like jolokia and
then run hawtio remotely on our Camel apps. Well I am sure there are more
to be said but a lot depends on your requirements and whether you want to
work in a spring way or not etc.