camel-users mailing list archives

From Brad Johnson <brad.john...@mediadriver.com>
Subject Camel SCR
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2016 20:32:12 GMT
Is Camel SCR considered a work in progress yet?  Obviously it has been
released as a production bundle but somehow it doesn't seem to have all the
pieces it needs to make it work well in middleware.  Granted this is from
my very limited perspective of it from using it just a little bit.

But even something as basic as having handlers and beans registered for use
in one's routes doesn't seem to be available.  While I started using the
mechanism to add beans to the registry for use in my routes via the
SimpleRegistry that appears to be a non-starter as when it runs in an
actual production environment that registry wouldn't be available.

Obviously I can instantiate beans locally in the route builders and use
them but that even feels kludgy because I can't use to("bean:foo") syntax
or bean() syntax because they are not in the registry.  If they are rather
static items I can reference them by the .class name I guess.  Or I can use
something like .method(this, "foo")  but that feels very odd as I'm in a
fluent Java construct but have to resort to reflection mechanics to invoke
a method on the same class.

So as long as the service one is creating sticks in the intestinal tract of
Camel and doesn't wander outside of it things are fine.  But a lot of the
things I use Camel for don't seem to be easily or readily available.

I haven't even looked at CXF and web services via SCR and Camel.

For certain very narrow concerns it seems to be fine and stable but it seem
limited.

I'd love nothing more than to jettison XML based routes of Blueprint or
Spring but ironically it is easier to use Java beans from them than from
SCR it would appear.

Brad