camel-users mailing list archives

From djBo <rory.slegtenho...@gmail.com>
Subject Installation in Karaf fails since 2.17
Date Sat, 28 May 2016 14:16:02 GMT
Hi,

I wanted to share my latest experience installing Camel and ActiveMQ in
Karaf.

Karaf: 4.0.5
ActiveMQ: 5.13.3
Camel: Anything lower than 2.17.0!

After creating a clean Ubuntu 16.04 installation with Oracle JDK8, I wanted
to create a mini ESB using Karaf, ActiveMQ and Camel. I downloaded the
lastest Karaf release from the site (4.0.5) and unpacked it under /opt. Then
started it, and used the following to finalize the installation:

feature:install http
feature:install http-whiteboard
feature:install webconsole
----
feature:repo-add camel 2.16.3
feature:repo-add activemq 5.13.3
feature:install activemq-broker
feature:install activemq-camel <-- fails for camel 2.17.0 and up
----
feature:install camel-http camel-jackson camel-servlet

At first, I was using camel 2.17.1, which kept failing searching for xbean.
Then after some searching, someone claimed no issues using 2.16.1/5.13.0.
After trying this, I realized something must be up with either ActiveMQ or
Camel, as this version combo works perfectly.
After increasing the release versions one at a time, I came to the point
where I wanted 2.17.0/5.13.3. This version combo fails to restart the broker
due to complicated factors of various spring versions being installed. I was
not able to fix these errors by hand :(

The only conclusion I could make, is that since the Camel 2.17 release,
something changed. After doing a diff between
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/camel/karaf/apache-camel/2.16.3/apache-camel-2.16.3-features.xml
and
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/camel/karaf/apache-camel/2.17.0/apache-camel-2.17.0-features.xml,
the biggest change that could be the culprit is the modification of the
camel-spring-batch feature, now requiring a newer Spring.

I also observe this when doing the actual installation with these versions,
and notice three different versions of Spring are installed, which is not
the case in the lastest 2.16 release.

I personally do not know how to fix this for *my* current situation, or if a
proper workaround exists. Glossing over the various Google mentions in this
subject keeps revealing the developers being unable to reproduce the issue.

With kind regards,
Rory