camel-users mailing list archives

From <jimi.hulleg...@svensktnaringsliv.se>
Subject Re: Trigger sanity check on startup, camel style?
Date Sun, 17 Apr 2016 22:41:36 GMT
OK, I did just that. CAMEL-9872. :)

/Jimi

From: Claus Ibsen <claus.ibsen@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 9:01 PM
To: users@camel.apache.org
Subject: Re: Trigger sanity check on startup, camel style?

Hi

Yeah you hit minor corner case, because the main class do not detect the veto.
You are welcome to log a JIRA.

On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 8:51 PM,  <jimi.hullegard@svensktnaringsliv.se> wrote:
> Thanks Claus,
>
> However, I can't get it to work properly. The VetoCamelContextStartException I throw
has rethrowException=false, since I don't want a stacktrace printed. But that seems to cause
Camel to get stuck during "shutdown". It prints the message about the veto, but then nothing
happens, and the process doesn't terminate.

> When debugging this in Eclipse it seems to get stuck in the method waitUntilCompleted()
 in org.apache.camel.main.MainSupport.

> When using rethrowException=true all works fine, but as I said, I don't want to use this
because I don't want the stacktrace, only the message.

> Is this a known bug?
>
> /Jimi

For example, I would like to have Camel check that certain directories and configuration files
exist on startup. So that, if they don't exist, Camel prints a user friendly error message
and shuts down. So I want to fail fast, rather than failing later, when one of the routes
is triggered.

>> I use Camel with Spring XML, and start Camel with org.apache.camel.spring.Main, and
I would prefer keeping the setup like that. So I am looking for some standard built in way
to configure Camel to do this, using just Spring XML. So, just as I can configure a route
using the <route> tag inside <camelContext>, I would like to be able to configure
something like <sanityCheck> or <onStartup> or similar. Using existing components,
preferably (since checking if a file or directory exist is fairly common use case I don't
really see the need for every project/company having to write their own code for this).

>> Regards
>> /Jimi
>

> --
> Claus Ibsen