camel-users mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Documentation on writing endpoints is lacking...
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2015 10:14:42 GMT
All the camel components itself are examples. So if you develop a
component that is similar to one ore more of the camel ones, then take
a look at the source code how they are developed.

If you want better Camel documentation, then take a look at the books
http://camel.apache.org/books

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 11:11 AM,  <jimi.hullegard@svensktnaringsliv.se> wrote:
> Hi Taariq,
>
> Thanks for the link to the page "Creating a new Camel Component". It should really be
mentioned in the page "Writing Components", since it helped me a lot. I think it should also
be mentioned in the user guide (I looked, but no link to http://camel.apache.org/creating-a-new-camel-component.html
is included there). I would edit these pages myself, but don't have the permission to. I don't
even seem to be able to add comments to these pages.

> Oh, and one more thing... The page "Creating a new Camel Component" describes how to
use a Maven archetype to create a consumer of the polling type. Is there also an archetype,
or example code, for a consumer of a non-polling type? If I understand things correctly, you
call it an event based consumer.

> Regards
> /Jimi
>
> Taariq wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jimi,
>> We really love contributions so please feel free to make notes and edit the wiki.
>> I usually create components using maven as shown here;
>> http://camel.apache.org/creating-a-new-camel-component.html
>>
>> Change the version and run, you'll have a working project in seconds.
>>
>> Have fun.
>>
>> > On 06 Dec 2015, at 18:35, <jimi.hullegard@svensktnaringsliv.se> <jimi.hullegard@svensktnaringsliv.se>
wrote:

>> > I'm evaluating Camel for a coming project, and so far it looks pretty impressive.
But I would like to try and write my own endpoint implementation,
>> > just to test it out, and the documentation on the website is a bit lacking,
to say the least. At the minimum, one would think one could find a complete example, in java
code, but I can't find any.

>> > The documentation I found was this page:
>> > http://camel.apache.org/how-can-i-create-a-custom-component-or-endpoint.html
>> >
>> > It then refers me to this page:
>> > http://camel.apache.org/writing-components.html
>> >
>> > And under the section "Writing Endpoints" it basically just mentions that I
should extend DefaultEndpoint, and implement the methods
>> > createProducer() and/or createConsumer(), but it doesn't say anything on *how*
I do that. From reading the documentation and reading
>> > the javadoc, I still have no idea on how to actually write the code. Let's say
that to learn this, I want to write an EndPoint
>> > that outputs some random famous quotes. Or even simpler still, it could just
output the same String over and over. How would I go about doing that?

>> > I also looked at the examples in the release zip file, but I couldn't find any
java-file with the text "Endpoint" in the name,

--
Claus Ibsen