camel-users mailing list archives

From Taariq Levack <taar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Documentation on writing endpoints is lacking...
Date Sun, 06 Dec 2015 19:42:59 GMT
PS if all of the mysteries weren't cleared up by the project generation feel free to ask.
Also see this page about the architecture which explains the various parts quite well.
http://camel.apache.org/architecture.html

Cheers

> On 06 Dec 2015, at 21:24, Taariq Levack <taariql@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Jimi,
> We really love contributions so please feel free to make notes and edit the wiki.
> I usually create components using maven as shown here;
> http://camel.apache.org/creating-a-new-camel-component.html
>
> Change the version and run, you'll have a working project in seconds.
>
> Have fun.
>
>> On 06 Dec 2015, at 18:35, <jimi.hullegard@svensktnaringsliv.se> <jimi.hullegard@svensktnaringsliv.se>
wrote:

>> I'm evaluating Camel for a coming project, and so far it looks pretty impressive.
But I would like to try and write my own endpoint implementation, just to test it out, and
the documentation on the website is a bit lacking, to say the least. At the minimum, one would
think one could find a complete example, in java code, but I can't find any.

>> The documentation I found was this page:
>> http://camel.apache.org/how-can-i-create-a-custom-component-or-endpoint.html
>>
>> It then refers me to this page:
>> http://camel.apache.org/writing-components.html
>>
>> And under the section "Writing Endpoints" it basically just mentions that I should
extend DefaultEndpoint, and implement the methods createProducer() and/or createConsumer(),
but it doesn't say anything on *how* I do that. From reading the documentation and reading
the javadoc, I still have no idea on how to actually write the code. Let's say that to learn
this, I want to write an EndPoint that outputs some random famous quotes. Or even simpler
still, it could just output the same String over and over. How would I go about doing that?

>> I also looked at the examples in the release zip file, but I couldn't find any java-file
with the text "Endpoint" in the name, so I assume there is no such example to be found there.