camel-users mailing list archives

From <>
Subject Questions about attachments (not i emails)
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2015 11:56:00 GMT
Hi again everyone :)

One thing we would need to handle in our potential future Camel project is attachments, and
I can't find much information about attachments in Camel except a little information about
emails. And, in fact, I see some indication that attachments aren't actually supported by
many of the Camel components (without mentioning exactly which ones). Can someone tell me
the current status of attachment support in Camel?

Maybe I just describe our use case, and in what way I was hoping it would be possible to solve
it using Camel.

The main input is a bunch of text files stored in a ftp server or in a directory on the file
system. Each text file contains the metadata about an article, including 0 or more file names
of attachments (images). These image files are store in the same directory as the text files.
We would like to be able to process the text file and the corresponding image files as one
"bundle" (message/Exchange) throughout the Camel flow, so that when we read the stuff from
the ftp or file system the move/delete happens on both the text file and all the images, or
none of them, and that if we write a backup of the Camel message to the file system, both
the text file (ie the main Exchange object) and the image files (ie the attachments) are written
to disk. Basically I want to be able to read all the data from disk/ftp, transform/process
the text content (mainly, converting from some csv style data into custom xml), and write
all the data to disk/ftp, without losing the image files, and with the process handling hard
shutdown (like server hard reboot) at any step in the flow.

Is this possible, using the standard Camel components? Or how would you solve this? Of course
I'm not asking for a complete solution or anything, just some hinters would be fine. As I
said before, we are currently in the evaluation process, and I want to see if Camel is a good
fit for this scenario.