camel-users mailing list archives

From Taariq Levack <taar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Documentation on writing endpoints is lacking...
Date Sun, 06 Dec 2015 19:24:22 GMT
Hi Jimi,
We really love contributions so please feel free to make notes and edit the wiki.
I usually create components using maven as shown here;
http://camel.apache.org/creating-a-new-camel-component.html

Change the version and run, you'll have a working project in seconds.

Have fun.

> On 06 Dec 2015, at 18:35, <jimi.hullegard@svensktnaringsliv.se> <jimi.hullegard@svensktnaringsliv.se>
wrote:

> I'm evaluating Camel for a coming project, and so far it looks pretty impressive. But
I would like to try and write my own endpoint implementation, just to test it out, and the
documentation on the website is a bit lacking, to say the least. At the minimum, one would
think one could find a complete example, in java code, but I can't find any.

> The documentation I found was this page:
> http://camel.apache.org/how-can-i-create-a-custom-component-or-endpoint.html
>
> It then refers me to this page:
> http://camel.apache.org/writing-components.html
>
> And under the section "Writing Endpoints" it basically just mentions that I should extend
DefaultEndpoint, and implement the methods createProducer() and/or createConsumer(), but it
doesn't say anything on *how* I do that. From reading the documentation and reading the javadoc,
I still have no idea on how to actually write the code. Let's say that to learn this, I want
to write an EndPoint that outputs some random famous quotes. Or even simpler still, it could
just output the same String over and over. How would I go about doing that?

> I also looked at the examples in the release zip file, but I couldn't find any java-file
with the text "Endpoint" in the name, so I assume there is no such example to be found there.