camel-users mailing list archives

From Babak Vahdat <babak.vah...@swissonline.ch>
Subject Re: Problems prettyPrinting JSON after camel 2.14.0 upgrade
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2014 15:13:26 GMT
Hi,

I looked a bit into the codebase regarding this and spotted some space for
improvement:

- First of all there's a copy/paste typo at the following line (pasted from
the previous code block):

https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/camel-core/src/main/java/org/apache/camel/model/dataformat/JsonDataFormat.java#L175

As it tries to set the the unmarshalType object value for the prettyPrint
property, which is wrong.

- Secondly with the current codebase it's *only* the JacksonDataFormat which
*truly* supports the prettyPrint option:

https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/components/camel-jackson/src/main/java/org/apache/camel/component/jackson/JacksonDataFormat.java#L46

And *all* the other formats fail to do so (including the default XStream
format), as they don't own any prettyPrint property! The last Gson format
below has a wrong naming: 'prettyPrinting' instead of 'prettyPrint'.

https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/components/camel-xstream/src/main/java/org/apache/camel/dataformat/xstream/XStreamDataFormat.java

https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/components/camel-xstream/src/main/java/org/apache/camel/dataformat/xstream/JsonDataFormat.java

https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/components/camel-gson/src/main/java/org/apache/camel/component/gson/GsonDataFormat.java

Last but not least, we should better not ignore the case if no setter method
is found below (IntrospectionSupport#setProperty would return false in such
a case)

https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/camel-core/src/main/java/org/apache/camel/model/DataFormatDefinition.java#L148
https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/camel-core/src/main/java/org/apache/camel/model/DataFormatDefinition.java#L150

As otherwise we don't know if a given data format *truly* supports a given
option called x. Currently we would ignore the case if there’s no setX()
setter method on a given dataformat object.

I guess the current workaround for you is to make use of Jackson:

  <json library="Jackson" prettyPrint="true" .../>

Would you mind to raise a ticket?

Babak

David J. M. Karlsen wrote