camel-users mailing list archives

From Robert Rich <>
Subject RE: seda concurrency when sending messages to another route
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2014 14:03:14 GMT
Thanks Claus!

Is this because it is (as described in the docs) a 'synchronous call to another endpoint'?
  Does the exchange pattern used in the seda route influence this at all?  If it's InOut,
does the Out come from the referenced direct route?

Sorry for all the questions!

-----Original Message-----
From: Claus Ibsen []
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2014 2:18 AM
Subject: Re: seda concurrency when sending messages to another route

Yes you can break up big routes into multiple routes, and "link" them together using direct
And yes the seda consumer will not pickup a new message while you call other routes using

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Robert Rich <> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> My understanding is that the seda queue is single-threaded by default, primarily by virtue
of 'concurrentConsumers' defaulting to '1'.   To me this means that the route will not pull
another message off of the queue until the last one has completed processing.  This is my
desired behavior.
> However, the route is getting quite long, and I'm wondering if it's possible to pass
the message to another route while ensuring that the seda consumer will not pull another message
off of the queue until that 'invoked' route has completed.  I'm assuming this would be done
via 'direct', possibly with a specific exchange pattern applied to one or both routes?
> In the case I have in mind, the second/invoked route would end the processing chain,
but is it possible to have such a pattern in the middle of a route as well, such that the
message is passed to a route and the output of that route inserted back into the processing
chain of the first route, almost like a subroutine?  It seems like the enricher pattern could
be (ab)used this way, but it doesn't seem like that is the intent.
> Thanks!
> Bob
> --
> Robert Rich