camel-users mailing list archives

From "Elvio Caruana (ecaruana)" <ecaru...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: one context or multiple contexts?
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2014 10:37:56 GMT
This is very subjective, but to me "greedy route" sets alarm bells ringing. Can't you put some
checks in place? Throttling, delayer, load-balancer EIPs? Having it in a separate process
mitigates the problem but is definitely not a solution. You've just shifted the problem.

Elvio

-----Original Message-----
From: sarveswaran_m [mailto:sarveswaran_m@yahoo.com]
Sent: 30 July 2014 11:27
To: users@camel.apache.org
Subject: one context or multiple contexts?

We have a bunch of independent routes.
We run camel in stand-alone mode.
Ideally, we can run all our routes in a single camel context.
In such a scenario, a single greedy route consuming excess memory can bring down the entire
JVM.
There by, bringing all the routes down.
Is there any way this can be prevented in camel?

The alternate is to run each route in a separate context (in a separate JVM, as a separate
process) Is it a good idea to run each route as a separate process?
How does it compare with running multiple routes from a single context?
What is the trade-off?

Note:
We have tom-cat web container in our deployment environment.
Considering the 'greedy-route' scenario explained above, we are not bundling camel with tom-cat.
Is there any provision in tomcat that addresses the 'greedy-route' scenario?