camel-users mailing list archives

From cristisor <cristisor...@yahoo.com>
Subject Camel + ActiveMQ shutdown timeout problem
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2014 13:18:46 GMT
Hello,

We are using ServiceMix as a container, with an embedded ActiveMQ broker and
some Camel routes deployed as JBI service assemblies. ServiceMix is
registered as a Windows service, so when the server machine shuts down, the
service is also shut down. The current timeout set on ServiceMix is 10
seconds, so if all the components can't be shut down before the timeout,
they are somehow dropped/discarded.

We wouldn't care about this if we didn't have situations when, after a
restart with TimeoutException, some messages are not delivered by the broker
to the Camel endpoints anymore. They are stuck in kahaDB and until the index
is rebuilt or kahaDB is deleted, messages keep accumulating. Some are
delivered after the broker is restarted, but not all of them.

Our research pointed out the fact that the shutdown of the Camel routes is
taking very long, between 20 and 30 seconds, so many times the logging shows
how some Camel routes are "preparing to shutdown complete" but there is no
"shutdown complete" afterwards. Probably some routes are not even prepared
when Windows shuts down.

So, if the routes are in the process of shutting down, could this damage the
kahaDB or the kahaDB index? I am suspecting that Windows kills all the
running threads suddenly, which includes possible threads which are running
and updating kahaDB or the index.

The default timeout for shutting down a Camel route is 300 seconds, if I
lower it to 1 second what could go wrong?

My questions is linked with:
http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/Another-NegativeArraySizeException-problem-ActiveMQ-5-5-1-fuse-70-097-td4683082.html

Camel version is 2.7.3-fuse-00-89.

Many thanks,