camel-users mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mocking SQL results in a route
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2014 06:17:21 GMT
Hi

The weave methods of advice with has all kinds of addFirst / addList,
replace et all you can use
http://camel.apache.org/advicewith.html

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 6:48 PM, Matt Raible <matt@raibledesigns.com> wrote:

> On Jun 12, 2014, at 10:14 AM, Matt Raible <matt@raibledesigns.com> wrote:
>
>> OK, I got that to work by using @UseAdviceWith. Here's my @Before method that sets
everything up and returns SQL results:

>>       static List<Map> results = new ArrayList<Map>() {{
>>               add(new HashMap<String, String>() {{
>>                       put("foo", "bar");
>>               }});
>>       }};
>>
>>       @Before
>>       public void before() throws Exception {
>>               camelContext.setTracing(true);
>>
>>               ModelCamelContext context = (ModelCamelContext) camelContext;
>>               RouteDefinition route = context.getRouteDefinition("myRouteId");
>>               route.adviceWith(context, new RouteBuilder() {
>>                       @Override
>>                       public void configure() throws Exception {
>>                               interceptSendToEndpoint("sql:*").skipSendToOriginalEndpoint().process(new
Processor() {
>>                                       @Override
>>                                       public void process(Exchange exchange) throws
Exception {
>>                                               exchange.getOut().setBody(results);
>>                                       }
>>                               });
>>                       }
>>               });
>>               camelContext.start();
>>       }
>>
>> Now in my route, I want to verify the final results. Since it's a .process() call,
there's no endpoint name to look for and mock.

>> .to("sql:select * ...")
>> .to("log:output")
>> .process(new Processor() {
>>       public void process(Exchange exchange) throws Exception {
>>               List<HashMap> data = (ArrayList<HashMap>) exchange.getIn().getBody();
>>               // create response from data
>>               exchange.getOut().setBody(response);
>>       }
>> });
>>
>> Is it possible to add a "mock:result" at the end, after .process()?
>>
>> I tried the following, but no messages are received.
>>
>> @MockEndpoints // added to class
>>
>>       @EndpointInject(uri = "mock:result")
>>       protected MockEndpoint result;
>>
>>       @Test
>>               result.expectedMessageCount(1);
>>
>>               template.sendBody ...
>>
>>               MockEndpoint.assertIsSatisfied(camelContext);
>>

> Nevermind, figured it out:
>
> // No reason for @MockEndpoints on class
>
>         @EndpointInject(uri = "mock:result")
>         MockEndpoint result;
>
>         @Before
>         public void before() throws Exception {
>                 route.adviceWith(context, new RouteBuilder() {
>                 });
>                 route.to(result);
>                 camelContext.start();
>         }
>
>         @Test
>         public void testMockSQLEndpoint() throws Exception {
>                 result.expectedMessageCount(1);
>
> Thanks for all the help!
>
> Matt
>

>> On Jun 12, 2014, at 9:33 AM, Claus Ibsen <claus.ibsen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> @ EndpointInject does not match wildcards.
>>>
>>> Do this as I said before in my previous mail
>>>
>>> But as the SQL endpoint is dynamic calculated then its easier to use
>>> interceptSendToEndpoint and skip, as shown in the book on page 182
>>> with the advice with.

support? I was originally trying to use this method, but had to extend CamelTestSupport and
its context did not have my routes in it.

Changing from:

I see the following in my logs:

                      - Exchange[ExchangePattern: InOnly, BodyType: java.util.ArrayList, Body:
[]]
                  - Asserting: Endpoint[mock://sql:select...] is satisfied
                  - Asserting: Endpoint[mock://sql:*] is satisfied

Expected: <1> but was: <0>

endpoint is not receiving a message and 2) make the mock SQL endpoint return an ArrayList
of items so I can test my processing logic.

xml and not actually in JavaConfig? In that case, you can simplify your configuration even
further and not refer to your JavaConfig class like this

locations = { "classpath:/path/to/xml" })

mean two different things in regex.

my test to use CamelSpringJUnit4ClassRunner and annotations to mock my SQL endpoint.

mock results (ArrayList<HashMap>)

my CamelConfig works for configuring other tests.

com.company.app.foo.FooRouteTests.camelContext; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.NoSuchBeanDefinitionException:
No qualifying bean of type [org.apache.camel.CamelContext] found for dependency: expected
at least 1 bean which qualifies as autowire candidate for this dependency.

throws Exception {
pc);

any of the Camel Test classes and using the Camel Enhanced Spring Test as described here

it describes several different ways of testing via Spring but you just have to skip to the
Camel Enhanced Spring Test bits. It also doesn't describe how to test using a JavaConfig class
very well IMO. It only describes how to do this by extending AbstractJUnit4SpringContextTests
which is a really old way of doing spring unit tests. I had to do a lot of experimenting to
get it to work without extending this class.

is my JavaConfig is embedded into my unit test class, but there's no reason you couldn't refer
to an existing class. If you want to mock and skip your sql or soap calls, then instead of
using @MockEndPoints, use @MockEndPointsAndSkip.  Look further down to see some gotchas that
I encountered in all of this.

classes = RegexTest.JavaConfig.class)

throws Exception {

   .simple("resource:classpath:simple/item_not_exists.txt").to("direct:match").otherwise().to("direct:nomatch").end();

 ended. : Item \"blah\" does not exist. - ");

 and mock endpoint is important to get right. I didn't add any regex to my example above because
mocking all endpoints (the default) was ok in my example. if you get this regex wrong, camel
doesn't warn you. You can turn on camel logging to see whether it has mocked your endpoint
correctly or not. It should say something like the following. That's how you know it is working.

- Adviced endpoint [direct://start] with mock endpoint [mock:direct:start]

it doesn't match your endpoint even though you are absolutely sure it is correct, try tacking
on ".*" on the end of it, this fixed it up for me many times. IMO I think it's a bug in the
camel regex matching somewhere.

you prepend with "mock" and don't include anything pass the "?" in your uri. This wasn't obvious
to me. And again camel won't warn you if you get this wrong.

behaviour once one test starts failing.

read chapter 6 and I'm trying to use the advice builder. Chapter 6 talks about using mocks
quite a bit, which seems useful in building a route, but not when it's already built.

JavaConfig in a CamelConfig class. When I try to use CamelTestSupport as my parent class,
the context doesn't have any route definitions in it. In other words, context.getRouteDefinitions()
returns an empty list. How do I get CamelTestSupport to recognize my routes configured in
Spring? Or is it possible to inject the context and template and use adviceWith w/o extending
CamelTestSupport?

{
Exception {
to mock:foo and do something else
are done with all the advice with

which allows us to advice the route
and thus can replace sql with something else.

<claus.ibsen@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
read chapter 6.

can "rework" the routes before testing.

Processor() {
void process(Exchange exchange) throws Exception {

      // grab parameters from request and set as headers for SQL statement
Processor() {
void process(Exchange exchange) throws Exception {

      List<HashMap> data = (ArrayList<HashMap>) exchange.getIn().getBody();

      // convert data to response

      exchange.getOut().setBody(response);

route and mock the data returned from the "sql" call? It'd love to be able to verify headers
after the first .process, mock the results from the SQL call and verify the results from the
2nd .process method.

with Camel so far make SQL calls, but I see SOAP calls in the future. I'll eventually need
to mock SOAP calls as well.

--
Claus Ibsen