camel-users mailing list archives

From Matt Raible <m...@raibledesigns.com>
Subject Re: Mocking SQL results in a route
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2014 16:48:18 GMT

{
> 					@Override
> 					public void process(Exchange exchange) throws Exception {
> 						exchange.getOut().setBody(results);
> 					}
> 				});
> 			}
> 		});
> 		camelContext.start();
> 	}
>
> Now in my route, I want to verify the final results. Since it's a .process() call, there's
no endpoint name to look for and mock.

> .to("sql:select * ...")
> .to("log:output")
> .process(new Processor() {
> 	public void process(Exchange exchange) throws Exception {
> 		List<HashMap> data = (ArrayList<HashMap>) exchange.getIn().getBody();
> 		// create response from data
> 		exchange.getOut().setBody(response);
> 	}
> });
>
> Is it possible to add a "mock:result" at the end, after .process()?
>
> I tried the following, but no messages are received.
>
> @MockEndpoints // added to class
>
> 	@EndpointInject(uri = "mock:result")
> 	protected MockEndpoint result;
>
> 	@Test
> 		result.expectedMessageCount(1);
>
> 		template.sendBody ...
>
> 		MockEndpoint.assertIsSatisfied(camelContext);

Nevermind, figured it out:

// No reason for @MockEndpoints on class

	@EndpointInject(uri = "mock:result")
	MockEndpoint result;

	@Before
	public void before() throws Exception {
		route.adviceWith(context, new RouteBuilder() {
		});
		route.to(result);
		camelContext.start();
	}

	@Test
	public void testMockSQLEndpoint() throws Exception {
		result.expectedMessageCount(1);

Thanks for all the help!

Matt

> On Jun 12, 2014, at 9:33 AM, Claus Ibsen <claus.ibsen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> @ EndpointInject does not match wildcards.
>>
>> Do this as I said before in my previous mail
>>
>> But as the SQL endpoint is dynamic calculated then its easier to use
>> interceptSendToEndpoint and skip, as shown in the book on page 182
>> with the advice with.
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 4:47 PM, Matt Raible <matt@raibledesigns.com> wrote:
>>> Possibly. If I have the following annotations on my class:
>>>
>>> @MockEndpoints("sql:.*")
>>> @UseAdviceWith
>>>
>>> And I mock the SQL endpoint:
>>>
>>>       @EndpointInject(uri = "mock:sql:*")
>>>       MockEndpoint mockSql;
>>>
>>> Then I try to set the mocked endpoint's results:
>>>
>>>       @Test
>>>       public void testMockSQLEndpoint() throws Exception {
>>>               mockSql.whenAnyExchangeReceived(new Processor() {
>>>                       @Override
>>>                       public void process(Exchange exchange) throws Exception
{
>>>                               exchange.getIn().setBody("sql output");
>>>                       }
>>>               });
>>>               camelContext.start();
>>>
>>> The mock SQL output is still not set.

support? I was originally trying to use this method, but had to extend CamelTestSupport and
its context did not have my routes in it.

SQL component.

I see the following in my logs:

                  - Exchange[ExchangePattern: InOnly, BodyType: java.util.ArrayList, Body:
[]]
                  - Asserting: Endpoint[mock://sql:select...] is satisfied
                  - Asserting: Endpoint[mock://sql:*] is satisfied

Expected: <1> but was: <0>

endpoint is not receiving a message and 2) make the mock SQL endpoint return an ArrayList
of items so I can test my processing logic.

and not actually in JavaConfig? In that case, you can simplify your configuration even further
and not refer to your JavaConfig class like this

locations = { "classpath:/path/to/xml" })

test to use CamelSpringJUnit4ClassRunner and annotations to mock my SQL endpoint.

my CamelConfig works for configuring other tests.

com.company.app.foo.FooRouteTests.camelContext; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.NoSuchBeanDefinitionException:
No qualifying bean of type [org.apache.camel.CamelContext] found for dependency: expected
at least 1 bean which qualifies as autowire candidate for this dependency.

throws Exception {

any of the Camel Test classes and using the Camel Enhanced Spring Test as described here

describes several different ways of testing via Spring but you just have to skip to the Camel
Enhanced Spring Test bits. It also doesn't describe how to test using a JavaConfig class very
well IMO. It only describes how to do this by extending AbstractJUnit4SpringContextTests which
is a really old way of doing spring unit tests. I had to do a lot of experimenting to get
it to work without extending this class.

JavaConfig is embedded into my unit test class, but there's no reason you couldn't refer to
an existing class. If you want to mock and skip your sql or soap calls, then instead of using
@MockEndPoints, use @MockEndPointsAndSkip.  Look further down to see some gotchas that I encountered
in all of this.

classes = RegexTest.JavaConfig.class)

Exception {

: Item \"blah\" does not exist. - ");

mock endpoint is important to get right. I didn't add any regex to my example above because
mocking all endpoints (the default) was ok in my example. if you get this regex wrong, camel
doesn't warn you. You can turn on camel logging to see whether it has mocked your endpoint
correctly or not. It should say something like the following. That's how you know it is working.

- Adviced endpoint [direct://start] with mock endpoint [mock:direct:start]

doesn't match your endpoint even though you are absolutely sure it is correct, try tacking
on ".*" on the end of it, this fixed it up for me many times. IMO I think it's a bug in the
camel regex matching somewhere.

prepend with "mock" and don't include anything pass the "?" in your uri. This wasn't obvious
to me. And again camel won't warn you if you get this wrong.

behaviour once one test starts failing.

chapter 6 and I'm trying to use the advice builder. Chapter 6 talks about using mocks quite
a bit, which seems useful in building a route, but not when it's already built.

in a CamelConfig class. When I try to use CamelTestSupport as my parent class, the context
doesn't have any route definitions in it. In other words, context.getRouteDefinitions() returns
an empty list. How do I get CamelTestSupport to recognize my routes configured in Spring?
Or is it possible to inject the context and template and use adviceWith w/o extending CamelTestSupport?

Exception {
mock:foo and do something else
done with all the advice with

allows us to advice the route
thus can replace sql with something else.

chapter 6.

"rework" the routes before testing.

{
void process(Exchange exchange) throws Exception {

  // grab parameters from request and set as headers for SQL statement
{
void process(Exchange exchange) throws Exception {

  List<HashMap> data = (ArrayList<HashMap>) exchange.getIn().getBody();

  // convert data to response

  exchange.getOut().setBody(response);

and mock the data returned from the "sql" call? It'd love to be able to verify headers after
the first .process, mock the results from the SQL call and verify the results from the 2nd
.process method.

Camel so far make SQL calls, but I see SOAP calls in the future. I'll eventually need to mock
SOAP calls as well.