camel-users mailing list archives

From nw31304 <>
Subject Painfully slow AMQ consumer
Date Wed, 21 May 2014 04:06:55 GMT
I am attempting to do something really simple: read from an ActiveMQ queue
and append the messages to a file.  Each message is roughly 100 bytes in
length and the arrival rate is no more than 1000 messages per minutes.  No
matter what I try, messages queue up on the broker because the Camel route
does not process them quickly enough (i.e. append them to the file).  The
disk I am writing to is SAN attached, an more than capable of these paltry
requirements. I have ridiculous amounts of CPU at my disposal, an I/O
utilization and queue time is minimal.  The machine load average on both the
broker and the machine where I'm running camel is next to nothing, and none
of the relevant machines are short of memory.  It doesn't matter if I run
the broker on the same machine or on a different machine, the result is the
same: a slowly growing queue.  If I tail the file,  literally see messages
scrolling slowly enough to read them as they're written.  I'm using Camel
2.9.0, and ActiveMQ 5.5 (both client and broker).  I thought perhaps it was
an issue with connection esablishment and teardown, but when I display the
connections, it appears that the same set of connections are being used.
Here's the relevant beans and routes:

    <bean id="jmsConnectionFactory"
          <property name="brokerURL" value="tcp://gsdb1:61616" />

    <bean id="pooledConnectionFactory"
class="org.apache.activemq.pool.PooledConnectionFactory" init-method="start"
        <property name="maxConnections" value="20" />
        <property name="connectionFactory" ref="jmsConnectionFactory" />

    <bean id="jmsConfig"
        <property name="connectionFactory" ref="pooledConnectionFactory"/>
        <property name="concurrentConsumers" value="5"/>

    <bean id="activemq"
        <property name="configuration" ref="jmsConfig"/>

    <camelContext id="camel1" xmlns="">

        <jmxAgent id="agent" createConnector="true" registryPort="20023"/>

            <from uri="activemq:gpsdata.gps.incoming.australia" />

Can anyone lend a hand with this, or perhaps give me hand as to where to

Thanks in advance.