camel-users mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <>
Subject Re: How to create a basic camel project with mvn for eclipse (for dummies)?
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2013 14:26:59 GMT
Welcome to the community.

Just a comment on the CiA book. Yeah somehow the chapter about how to
create new projects landed as chapter 11. Though we did give a little
hint in the preface that readers should check out this chapter earlier
if they are not familiar with Maven etc.

So a Maven archetype is similar to a recipe for creating pre-setup
Java projects. So there is maven archetypes for many different
libraries out there.

The Apache Camel project has a number of archetypes listed here

Maven archetypes can be used from both the command line, or from
within your IDE such as Eclipse, IDEA etc. In fact its easier today
than it was when the book was being written, as for Eclipse you needed
back then to install a special m2eclipse plugin. Today that plugin is
out of the box.

So all you need to do is fire up Eclipse, and choose file -> new
project ... -> maven project -> and use the wizard to choose an
archetype. In the filter box type "Camel" to filter only the Camel

And for example choose

camel-archetype-java  to create a simple Java only project with a
Camel route in Java DSL.

And there is camel-archetype-spring for a Spring based project with a
Camel XML route.

If you use Maven from the command line, then I suggest to use
mvn archetype:generate

Then it runs in interactive mode, alike the wizard in Eclipse. That is
also easier to do than typing a very long command.

And also today you dont need to type mvn eclipse:eclipse. You can just
from Eclipse

File -> Import Existing Project ... -> Maven Project --> and load the
pom.xml of the project.

So you dont need to touch and use Maven from a command line. Its all
out of the box in the Eclipse / IDEA editors today.

Good luck and hopefully have a bit fun riding the Camel.