camel-users mailing list archives

From Christian Müller <>
Subject Re: Default Type Conversions
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2013 21:35:37 GMT
Hi Tom!

Find my comments inline.

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Tom Ellis <> wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there some documentation around the strategy Camel takes when deciding
> what to convert the body of an exchange to before sending to an endpoint?
Camel will not convert the body of an exchange to BEFORE sending to an
endpoint. The endpoint may convert the body to a know type which the
endpoint can handle.

> For example, I have set a File object in the body of an exchange and send
> this to a JMS endpoint. When the exchange is obtained from that endpoint,
> the body contains a byte array of the contents of the file the File object
> represents.
This is because the JMS component converts the body to a know type it can
handle well (using the Camel type converter mechanism).

> Given the File object is serializable I expected a File object to be
> available at the other end. I could just send the File URI string and
> create a new File object on the other side, but I wondered where/if the
> conversion strategy for Camel is documented?
This doesn't make sense. The "other end" could be a server on a different
continent... You may looking for the claim check pattern (