camel-users mailing list archives

From Paolo28 <>
Subject Re: After camelContext shutdown, is any way to exit the Java main() method?
Date Wed, 18 Sep 2013 22:48:07 GMT
I have the same problem.

I have not found any solution to this issue. I believe that Camel should be
able to shutdown itself in a graceful manner. My scenario:

1. process N messages (I´m able to detect which is the last)
2. once all messages are processed I want to gracefuly terminate the process
3. depending on the amount of possible errors I need to return non-zero exit
status code

What I do:

- from a newly spawned thread I stop the initial route and then whole
context using camelContext.stop()
- this new thread dies - it is not hanging
- I´m using 2.11

- all the "graceful shutdown stuff" is done (I see log messages) but the
process is still running
- I was even able to reliably reproduce weird behaviour: when running with
INFO log level the camel java process exits as expected, however in case
DEBUG log level it continues to run forever
- also trying to connect via JVVM made the hanging process to finish with
exit status=0 which is also a bit weird
- except the "stopping thread" I do not create any of my own threads.

I spent 2 days with various approaches and so far was not able to reliably
stop Camel application.
I would prefer some standard way - for example via control bus I would like
to send command to stop everything (there are no more messages anyway). It
seems like Camel in not really designed with this in mind.